thirty nine

/Kalee/

/Kalee/

Glenn had been clearing out walkers at the fence with a few other guys. I sat outside, watching as Lori, Beth and Maggie helped Hershel down the stairs. He was eager to get up and moving again. Emma and Carl walked out behind them, a smirk formed on Emma's face as they approached Hershel,

"You ready to race Hershel?" He asks, only to earn a laugh from Hershel.

"Give me another day, then i'll take both of you on." He says smiling at the two kids. I laugh and look over to see the guys, watching Hershel.

"Yea! Go Hershel!" Glenn yells and I chuckle. He looks at me and smiles, and I smile back.

"Walkers!" Emma yells from behind me. I quickly turn around, noticing around 30 walkers heading towards us. Beth grabs Hershel, along with Maggie and they run off to a cage part. Carl suddenly disappears and its just Lori, Emma and I.

"Lori! Emma!" I shout, and they run over to where I am next to the door. I run in, heading towards the cell block only to see a dozen walkers come out. "Get back!" I yell, Pushing them to turn around, More walkers come out

"Kalee! Lori!" Emma shouts, opening the door of a random room. They run down the stairs into the room, while I close the door quietly, locking it.

"The baby is coming." Lori says, her face turning pale. I look at her wide eyed,

"We have to get you back to Hershel!" Emma shouts, I look at Lori as she begins to shake, grabbing her lower stomach.

"The baby is coming now! Not enough time!" She says, I look at Emma, as she goes to protest but I shake my head.

"She wont make it to the cell block, we have to do it now." I say, "Lets go take off your pants, I have no clue what to do." I say, worry running through my body. I help her, as Emma hold her gun watching for walkers.

Lori stands up, gripping onto a pole, I sit on the floor not knowing what to do,

"I don't know what i'm suppose to do?" I stutter out, moving so I am on my knees.

"I gotta push." She says, and begins to take deep breaths. I nod my head, placing my hand under her so I could catch the baby. She pushes, and screams as blood comes out.

"Lori! Lori stop!" I shout, she lets out a painful scream, "Something not right!" I say, blood soaking my hand. I stare at it then her, she sighs as she notices the blood.

"I know whats wrong." She says to me, "I had Carl through c-section, this one has to get one too." She breaths out. I stare at her and shake my head,

"I dont know, I can't do this! It will kill you!" I say to her, not wanting to be blamed for her death by Rick, or take her life. Even though Lori was a bitch, and annoyed me, she took care of Emma. She was also Emma's boyfriends mother, and I don't want Emma to hate me for this. Emma stays quiet, as she realizes whats happening. Lori lays down, shaking her head,

"If you don't do it now, then i'll loose the baby, please Kalee." She says to me. I stare at her and breath out, nodding my head. "All you have to do is cut across the line on my lower stomach."

"I don't have anything-" I go to say but Lori turns her head, looking at Emma.

"Emma still has the knife you gave her." She says calmly. I look at Emma and she nods her head, taking the knife out and giving it to me. Lori smiles, and takes a deep breath. I lift Lori's shirt, and notice a line going across her lower part of her stomach.

"Emma, take care of Carl please. Help him with the baby. I know you guys will last, tell my baby boy I love him." She says to her, Emma's eyes water and she nods her head. Lori looks at me and smiles slightly, "Thank you." She says and I nod my head. She takes a deep breath, "I'm ready." She says.

"I'm sorry." I say to her, cutting across the line. Lori lets out a painful scream, and suddenly stops. I glance at her to see her barely breathing, I drop the knife and look at Emma.

"You have to help me, take my flannel from over there and get it ready." I say, reaching my hand into Lori. I glance at Lori again, noticing she was no longer breathing. "I have its leg." I say, cringing slightly. I pull out the baby, and cut the cord attached to it.

At first the baby didn't cry and I was worried. I look at Emma quickly, tapping the baby on the back. It begins to cry, and I look down to notice it was a girl. Emma hands me the flannel, and I wrap the baby in it after cleaning her up a little.

"We have to go." I say, my voice low. Emma looks at Lori and shakes her head,

"I can't leave her like this, Carl would never forgive me." She says. I look at her and nod my head,

"Do you want me to-" I g to say but Emma cuts me off.

"He would rather me to." She tells me, and I nod my head, walking up the stairs. I peek outside the door, only to see walkers moving down a hall away from us. I hold my breath slightly and lean against the wall. A loud bang goes off, and then I hear footsteps coming up the stairs. I look at Emma to see her have a blank expression.

We walk out of the room, Emma ahead of me, making sure no walkers come at us. We go out a side door, as the baby starts to cry. I look up to see everyone there but Carol and T. It comes to my realization that I had basically killed Lori, by cutting her open.

Everyone stares at me, Rick and Carl look at each other trying to figure out where Lori was. Rick stares at me, then the baby in my arms. Blood covered all the way up to my elbows, and on the flannel. He stares back at me, and begins to walk past me.

"Rick- no-" I say trying to stop him, holding the baby in one arm. I swallow a lump in my throat, as Emma walks up to Carl, and they cry into each other. Glenn walks up to me, confused look on his face. He pulls me into a half hug, leaving the baby room in between us.

"I'm sorry." He says, and I let a tear fall, as I remember those were my last words to Lori. Rick falls to the ground, sobs racking through his body. I stand still not knowing what to do,

"Let me see the baby." Hershel says, I slowly walk over to him, handing him the baby. He looks her over, and looks back at us. "She looks healthy, but wont survive without formula."