1. Betrayal

Little sailor, you met a siren

~●~○~●~

The wind was howling that night. The full moon, surrounded by hundreds of shiny stars on the dark sky, glowed above the black-sailed ship, which shifted from side to side on the clear waters of the Caribbean. A very young captain walked on the deck, enjoying the sound of the waves crashing. The sound of freedom. The crew was sleeping in the hold, so he was totally alone with his thoughts. He held a half empty bottle of rum in his right hand and brought it to his mouth.

The young pirate strode towards the helm. The dreadlocks that barely reached his shoulders swifted with each step he took. A brown tricorn hat rested on his head, partially covering the red bandana that he was so fond of. He caressed the wooden wheel and sighed in satisfaction. He loved this ship. His ship.

He smiled proudly at himself. Everything was perfect, or that's what he thought. They were sailing to a secret island where an ancient treasure was hidden. The captain had told his first mate where the island was, and they had agreed to split the plunder into equal parts. This was something unusual between pirates; normally, the captain would keep the biggest part of the prize, but this was no ordinary pirate. He wanted to be fair, he didn't really care much about the gold.

Suddenly, he heard the door of his cabin creaking open and slowly closing. Frowning, the young captain walked down the stairs, careful not to make any noise with every footstep against the dark wood. His mind came up with different options of what could be happening in the room, and many ideas of what to do with the intruder: Leave him behind at the next port, lock him in the brig, make him walk the plank, kill him... He had the authority to do as he wished.

Once the captain stood in front of his cabin, he took another swig from the bottle before forcefully opening the door. He reached for his pistol and entered the room, pointing the gun at the person inside. What he saw was greatly unexpected. He immediately lowered his pistol when he saw a woman sitting on his bed, her face glowing under the golden light of a single candle.

She was the only girl in the crew, and his first mate's daughter. She had joined them when he recruited the crew in Tortuga. His first mate, Barbossa, had convinced him to bring her with them, and he hadn't had the heart to leave her behind. She was young, some years younger than him, and had nobody besides her pirate father. Although it was said that it would bring bad luck to have a woman aboard, the captain had allowed her to join them.

Now she was sitting there, on his bed, looking up at him with her shiny eyes. He had always loved her eyes; they were a vivid shade of blue, as clear as the water of the ocean. They reminded him of the sea; in fact, the girl herself reminded him of the sea. Kind and gentle, but fierce when she had to be. She could be deadly and dangerous, unlike her gorgeous appearance showed.

Occasionally, he wondered if she was real. She could be the sea itself and it wouldn't surprise him at all.

"J-Jack...", she whispered, seemingly shaken at the way he had pointed a gun at her. He felt ashamed of frightening her like that.