19. A Pirate Song

A pirate's life for me

~●~○~●~

Breathless, Narissa arrived at the beach after a long swim. Her tied hands held her sword and pistol; she dropped them on the sand and lifted her gaze. She looked around for a second. The island was small, many tall palm trees stood some feet away from her. There was not a cloud in the sky, which allowed the sun to brush her skin fiercely.

Her eyes fell on Jack, who was sitting on the sand, barefoot, drying his pistol carefully. Somehow, he had freed himself from the rope around his wrists. A sigh of relief passed through her lips; he was alright. She then searched for her friend; where was Elizabeth? When she saw the small footprints that led away, she guessed that the woman was inspecting the island.

Jack's gaze left his weapon to settle on the woman who had just arrived. His eyes widened, she souldn't be there. He stood on his feet immediately, leaving the parts of his pistol on the scarf he usually wrapped around his waist, which was laying on the sand, and ran to her. Although her hands were tied together, he didn't doubt to hug her tightly, their wet bodies pressing against each other for some seconds before he let her go.

"Nari, love, what are you doing here?" Removing the thick rope from her wrists, he continued "You shouldn't be here. You'd be safer on the Pearl."

She smiled at his concern. "I couldn't leave you on this island again."

His eyes shone with love and he gave her a soft smile. When the rope was removed, he took a look at her hands. Her wrists were slightly burned, but it was not too bad. His eyes travelled to the injuries on her hands; the salty water had cleaned them, but they didn't look good. Jack clenched his jaw upon seeing her delicate hands in such a state. Noticing his anger, Narissa cupped his cheek, causing him look at her.

"I've had worse than this, you know that," she reassured with a soft voice. He nodded sadly, remembering that large scar that crossed her abdomen. Still, he didn't like the look of these wounds.

"I thought you would stay with Will. Weren't you supposed to protect him?"

Her mind travelled to her best friend, her heart was pierced by a sudden worry. She hated herself for leaving him again. "I didn't really think much. I saw you in the water and just... Jumped." A sigh passed through her lips and she closed her eyes, annoyed by her own actions. "I should have stayed, right?"

He held her shoulders as she stared at her feet. "He'll be fine," he assured. "He can take care of himself, you've seen it. That whelp isn't easy to get rid of."

She forced a soft smile on her lips, thankful that the pirate was there to comfort her. She knew he was right: William could defend himself, he didn't need her anymore. However, the protective instinct of an older sister couldn't leave so easily.

Sitting on the white sand, Narissa removed her boots and threw them next to Jack's. He sat next to her, still not liking the idea of her being stuck on this island with him. The moment he went back to reassembling his pistol, Elizabeth came back from her walk around the island. Once she saw her friend from afar, she shouted her name and ran to her.