33. The Drawing

So dark and deep, the secrets that you keep

~●~○~●~

Through the windows of the captain's cabin, between the mist, Narissa could observe the fortress set into the side of a cliff, located on a small island and conected to the adjacent land by a large stone bridge. Sat on top of the desk, she shuddered at the sight of the colossal stronghold, partially hidden behind a flock of dark clouds. She listened keenly to Jack's "perfect" plan to infiltrate the Turkish prison, which they had found after two months of sailing.

"Apparently, one of the prison warders has what I'm looking for," he explained, his voice a little toned down by the crows cawing around the ship. "I go there, shoot someone, get arrested and I'm inside. Easy!" He explained it as if it was the most effortless plan ever thought of, grinning at her. Narissa managed to fake a smile to hide her worry.

"And once you have this... Thing, how are you going to get out of there?" she asked, still disturbed by the secrecy of his venture.

"My contact told me that the dead prisoners in their coffins are tossed into the sea. I'll sneak into one coffin, they'll throw me to the water and I'm free again."

With a grimace, she said "That's disgusting. You're not touching me in a month after this." A chuckle escaped from his lips as a sigh left hers. "Still, it's actually not such a bad plan." She hated to say that, she was really worried about him going by himself to a place where routine tortures were carried out. She shook her head, standing up to face him. "I don't know, Jack... You'll be all alone there. Let me go with you," she pleaded, not for the first time since they arrived to those waters.

"No!" Jack looked at her as if she was insane. That was something he would absolutely never let her do. In any other situation, he would not stop her from joining him, but this was something that he had gotten himself into. He would not drag her into this. "You're not coming," he concluded.

She nodded, aware that there was no way to change his mind. With her eyes fixed on her fiddling hands, she insisted "Can you at least take someone of the crew with you?"

Placing two fingers under her chin, Jack raised her head up, making their eyes meet. "If I go alone, it will be easier to sneak out of there. Trust me, it will only take me one day, maybe even less." While he grasped both of her hands, giving them a gentle squeeze, he could still recognize the worry in her expression. "I'll be fine, love"

Her eyes averted his and moved to the floor. "I know there's no need to worry, but I can't help it." She chuckled drily, running a shaky hand through her hair in exasperation. "It's stupid."

The captain was certain that he would be alright and everything would turn out as planned, but if this helped to fade her worries away, he'd be happy to do it. And if by any chance he got himself in trouble, there was nobody else he trusted more than her to save him. After thinking for some moments, Jack reached for his compass. "Take it." Narissa raised an eyebrow, glancing at the object. "Take it," he repeated and she finally accepted it. He met again his familiar eyes, warm with love and concern. "If I'm not back in two days, come and find me."