31. Life

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us

~●~○~●~

~ Hey, random question: Which has been your favourite chapter so far? I'd love to know <3

~●~○~●~

There was only darkness. She could not move. She could not breathe. Her throat burned and her eyelids were heavy.

Water.

The only thing Narissa could feel was cold water around her, pushing her down, numbing her bones, invading her lungs. She was drowning.

Death was imminent, she was certain, and she would have cried in fear if she could. Fear? It troubled her that she was, in fact, afraid of death. She had always thought that she would welcome it when it came, but now that the time had come, she was terrified. Now that she knew what actual happiness felt like, she didn't want to lose it.

Narissa woke up abruptly to see not a single drop of water; she wasn't even wet, except for the cold sweat that covered her forehead and ran down her back. Looking around, she noticed that she was laying on a bed in a small room with wooden walls and wooden flooring. The room was almost completely dark, except for the single candle that burned on a shattered bedside table, which consisted in a wooden box. There was not a single window to look through to recognize where the hell she was. She could not remember how she'd got there or what had happened before she lost consciousness.

She sat up on the bed and heard a shrieking sound from the foot of the bed. She squinted her eyes in the darkness of the room and spotted her father's monkey, who jumped cheerfully onto her lap. She welcomed her little friend with a smile, caressing the furr under his chin.

"Hey there, Jackie. How long have you been here?" As if understanding her, the small animal screeched softly at her.

A sudden creaking of the door startled her. Her breathing quickened as she stared at the door at the end of the room and a woman appeared through it. This woman, who didn't look much older than herself, had a peculiar aspect. She had dark skin and black hair in numerous dreadlocks, almost covering her serious expression. Her ripped off brown and red dress looked old and dirty. The woman walked calmly to the bed; her bare feet didn't make a sound against the old floor. Narissa looked around, agitated, locating her weapons on a chair in a corner of the room. Looking back at the woman nervously, she pondered the idea of running to her swords.

"Don't fear," she said with a thick accent, as if she knew what she was thining about. The monkey sat calmly on the bed; he was not aggressive or protective, as he used to be whenever someone threatening was near, which somehow tranquilized Narissa.

After gulping, Narissa asked "Where am I?" Upon hearing no answer, she added "Where's Jack?" worried that something had happened to him.

The unknown woman stood by the bed and replaced the worn out candle for a new one. "I had to convince Jack to go back to the Pearl and rest." Her dark lips drew a knowing smirk. Under the brighter light of the new candle, Narissa could see the delicate patterns painted on her face, accentuating a pair of hypnotic brown eyes. The woman was surrounded by a mysterious aura that drew her in.