13. The Compass

There were parts of her that would always remain untameable, messy and reckless, but she refused to apologise for it

~●~○~●~

The next morning, Narissa woke up early. Her body was used to wake up just before break of dawn. Ever since she could remember, she would get up in time to see the sun raising on the horizon each morning. She thought it was one of the most breathtaking views that existed, and she felt sorry for all those people who missed such a spectacle every day because they were sleeping.

She sat on the wooden railing, not afraid of falling into the sea; the Interceptor was docked anyway. She waited patiently for the sun to illuminate the world. A weak light was starting to raise above the water, tainting the morning sky with an orange glow. As half of the sun kept hidden, its reflection formed a golden path on the water. The sun raised higher and higher, ruling the sky, its orange rays mixed with the blue sky, creating a beautiful shade of pink.

When the sun finally settled proudly above the sea, Narissa smiled. She had never seen two equal dawns, every morning had a different detail, a new shade of some colour. It was as satisfying, like watching an artist create a masterpiece on the canvas of the sky.

She heard footsteps approaching her. "Y'know if you keep sitting there, you'll end up falling. And I don't know if I want to rescue you again," Jack's voice reached her ears.

She chuckled, remembering the incident at Port Royal without taking her eyes from the sky. "I don't make the same mistake twice, captain." Maybe she was only referring to the accident, but Jack understood that she was also talking about letting her father deceive her. Narissa stood on the deck and faced him. "Why are you up so early, captain? I thought Mr. Gibbs wouldn't be here until midday."

"That's true, but I think I should enjoy the wonderful world that is Tortuga before we leave," he explained, making weird gestures with his hands.

"Which means that you're going to visit Scarlett and Giselle, am I wrong?" She laughed, and Jack thought it was a sound more beautiful than any mermaid's song.

"I never make the same mistake twice, dear," he repeated her words with his famous smirk, showing one of his golden teeth. Turning around, the charming captain left the ship to enjoy a few last hours in Tortuga.

Narissa shook her head and tried to ignore the warm sensation in her stomach as she remembered their conversation from the previous night. He had forgiven her; she couldn't express her happines, but she knew her feelings for him were returning and she couldn't do anything about it.

Some minutes later, Will arrived at the deck with a sleepy face, narrowing his eyes at the blinding sunlight. He scanned the ship, looking for his friend, and found her sitting on the stairs that led to the quarterdeck. She was building a house of cards; she did that often to kill boredom back home. When the figure collapsed because of the slow rocking of the ship, she groaned "This is impossible!"