35. Chains

Lost my heart, but what of it?

~●~○~●~

Through gritted teeth, her trembling lips muttered a single word: "Bastard."

At the port of Martinique, Narissa stared at the sea, still searching for black sails in the horizon. Her fists shook with anger. She closed her eyes tightly, trying to contain the tears that were threatening to flood. A single one rolled down her cheek and reached the corner of her mouth.

The Black Pearl was gone. And with it, the captain and his crew. She had woken up alone in the bed that she had shared with Jack the previous night. Thinking that she'd find him back on the ship, she left the inn and headed to the port, but instead she found a much different reality.

It wasn't a surprise that he left her; what actually surprised her was that she hadn't seen it coming. Jack was like that, his reputation was not unjustified; he never stuck to one woman and he had kept her around for way too long. But he finally did it. He abandoned her, and for the third time in her life, she found herself alone in a town she didn't know.

The knot in her throat and the pain in her chest were hard to ignore to think clearly for a second and figure out what to do next. First things first, she had to leave Martinique, go to Tortuga and maybe join a crew. From there, she could restart her life, again.

~●~○~●~

~ 10 years before ~

"What?" Narissa asked Ragetti, holding back a smile as he nervously held one of her books.

It had been a few weeks since Jack had accepted them in his crew and the captain, noticing her interest in reading, had acquired some books for her.

"Could you teach me to read, miss Narissa, please?" he asked once again. "Pintel tried to help once, but he just isn't patient enough." She couldn't say no to his begging eyes - well, eye -. Terry Ragetti was a smart man, he could learn to read easily if he wanted to, but Pintel was probably not the adequate person to help him.

"Why do you suddenly want to read?" she wondered, intrigued by his sudden interest, while standing up from the stairs that she was sitting on.

"It could come in handy one day, right?" She nodded in reply. "Why did you learn to read?"

"Uhm... I don't remember much. I was a kid when my mother taught me to read and write." Images of her mother holding a book in front of her at the dinner table flashed through her mind, and Narissa couldn't help but smile at the few memories she could grab onto. "Alright, I'll help you. Mother always said it's important to write letters. You never know when you'll need to write a letter."