29. Hurricane

My law is might, the wind my mark

~●~○~●~

Standing at the crow's nest, Narissa watched as the sun rose beyond the horizon. A soft breeze caressed her skin. It was dawning and, as usual, she had woken up before sunrise. She closed her eyes and sighed. A new day, a new adventure, a new beginning. The sun reached its zenith on the sky and, although some clouds tried to hide the sky, its rays illuminated the world. She stared at the soft waves, adorned with glistening reflections of sunlight.

Lost in thought, her hand reached for the four crystals that hanged from her neck, grazing them gently. They were cold. She never took the necklace off, afraid that something so powerful would end up in the wrong hands. There was not a second that it was not around her neck. She grinned to herself, contemplating all the things she could do now that she was bearing such powers. She thought of all the places she could go to, every risk of losing her freedom now vanished. Without her realizing it, her hand went a bit lower and found a smaller figure: the little metallic anchor, her father's piece of eight, now hers. It rested between two of the crystals. She looked at the item between her fingers and smiled fondly at it. Her eyes moistened with a few tears as she recalled one of her memories of the time she was in her father's crew.

~ 14 years before ~

The young Narissa stood by the mast of the Cobra, looking around at the sailors, her crewmates, as they worked. She didn't know what to do; she had only been aboard for two days and she was still ignorant of how to contribute on the ship.

The captain, noticed that his daughter was a little bit lost. He left the helm and walked to her hesitantly. Looking down at her small form, he told her "You'll learn what to do soon."

She clasped her hands tightly behind her back. "I hope so. I don't like sitting around doing nothing," she replied, an evident Italian accent in her voice. She didn't know many people back in Tortuga, so she hadn't talk much and never got the chance to lose her accent.

Barbossa rested a comforting hand on her shoulder, awkwardly trying to bond with his lost daughter. "I'm sure you'll be one of the best pirates, having me instructing you." She laughed a little. He looked at the sword that he had bought for her the day they met; he had seen her sharpening it earlier that day. Nodding at the weapon, he asked "Do you know how to use that?"

She looked down, embarrassed, and shook her head. "Not really... Pintel tried to teach me, but he isn't very good at teaching." She looked at the pirate, who was bickering with Raggeti, as usual. She liked those two sailors, they were always nice to her. The other crewmen didn't much talk to her, but she noticed their glares. They thought that a thirteen-year-old girl would be useless on their ship, she'd be a burden. She agreed with them so far.