30. Breaths

The sunset inside a frame

~●~○~●~

The Black Pearl sailed proudly above the waters south of India. The sun struck the ship, making its dark wood shine beautifully. Thanks to the seaglass, they had had a safe, calm and fast journey. They'd be in Singapore in nearly two weeks, even earlier than they had expected.

They had stopped at Madagascar for two days, where Narissa wrote a letter for Will and Elizabeth. She wrote to them every time she had the chance, expecting to read their replies when she finally went back to Tortuga.

Captain Jack Sparrow stood behind the helm, keeping a hold of the wheel. His eyes, shielded from the intense sunlight by his tricorn har, were fixed on the horizon. His first mate's voice made his eyes travel to her. Narissa was on the main deck shouting to one of the new sailors, Leech, a dark skinned buccaneer that was caught sleeping, leaning on a cannon. Narissa had sceamed into his ear to wake him up and was now threatening him to cut out his tongue if he tried to make another excuse to avoid working. He immediately apologized and started to help Marty fixing a longboat. Watching the scene, Jack managed to hold back a laugh. He had to admit that authority suited her better than him.

He observed attentively as the woman braided her hair, which had been bothering her with the heat. Her dark brown hair had grown since she had joined his crew. It barely reached her shoulders when he had found her in Port Royal; now, almost five months later, it was considerably longer. He loved it that way; he loved how the wind would flow through her hair and watching her style it in complicated ways when she was bored, something that Elizabeth had taught her to do. He was amazed by the smallest details about her, like the way she frowned while reading, or how she'd hum the same song while sharpening her sword, or the almost unnoticeable blush on her cheeks when he winked playfully at her.

Narissa spotted Jack looking at her and walked up to him. He was lost for a second in her eyes. He knew: this woman had a tight hold of his heart and it was too late to escape it.

"Since we found the seaglass, some men have been hacking around. They must think that everything's too easy now." Her voice brought him back to Earth; she was glaring at Leech to make sure he wouldn't stop working.

"I don't think we'll see another lazy sailor on this ship for some time after what you've just said to Leech." He said this with pure admiration in his eyes. One of his hands left the wheel to grab her hand, he pulled her closer until she was settled between him and the wheel, with her back pressed to his chest. He left a brief kiss on her cheek, making her smile. Jack didn't let her go as he said "I was born around here."

The woman turned her head slightly to look at him and raised her eyebrows in surprise. "Really?" A large smile appeared on her expression.

He nods. "On my father's ship, in the middle of a typhoon."