20. Fear

It seems to be a law of nature that those who will not risk cannot win

~●~○~●~

Every thought of William, her evil father and her approaching death had vanished from her mind thanks to the alcohol running through her veins. The rum had seriously gotten to her brain after drinking half of the bottle, making her dizzy and clumsy. She laughed at everything and nothing. No worries clouded her mind, except spilling her rum.

As she danced with Jack and Elizabeth beneath the stars, around a big bonfire that they had build, they sang the infamous pirate song. The sound was horrendous, drunk yelling in the middle of nowhere. But who cared? Nobody could listen.

"I love this song!" the captain exclaimed after finishing the song for the hundredth time, slurring every word. "Really bad eggs..." He stumbled and fell on the sand, then pulled Narissa down with him by grabbing her hand. Elizabeth sat next to him, leaving the pirate between both women. "When I get the Pearl back, I'm going to teach it to the whole crew, and we'll sing it all the time!" he continued with dreamy eyes. Narissa smiled with love at him. He was so convinced that he'd get the ship back, but she wasn't so sure anymore. For a second, the alcohol stopped working and she remembered all of their problems again. She took a big gulp from the bottle to stop it.

"And you'll be positively the most fearsome pirates in the Spanish Main." Elizabeth's words held a mocking tone.

Jack corrected her. "Not just the Spanish Main. The entire ocean... The entire world." He moved his gaze from the young woman to Narissa, staring deeply into her eyes. "Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs... But what a ship is, what the Black Pearl really is... Is freedom." Narissa's heartbeat quickened, as well as her breath, as she listened intently to his words. It was in moments like this thats she thought he looked more beautiful than ever, when he spoke of the things he loved: the Black Pearl, the sea, freedom, rum... She had never seen him talk about her, but that was when he looked the most beautiful.

A few seconds of silence followed. Jack smiled slyly to the woman he had come to love twice. He knew her well, he knew after this adventure, she wouldn't be able to set foot on land again. Not only because they'd be looking for her, but also because she would die if she was separated from the ocean one more time. He was hoping that she'd join him, when this adventure was over, if they survived, so they could share more adventures together. He knew that she could only be free at sea, and she knew it as well.

Elizabeth broke the silence, laying her head on his shoulder. "Jack, it must be really terrible for you to be trapped on this island."

The pirate glanced at her and hesitated. "Ah, yes... But the company is infinitely better than last time, and the scenery has definitely improved." He rested his hands on both girls' shoulders.