3. Little Noble Girl

A bird caged in a fancy dress

~●~○~●~

Alone in her house, Narissa was sewing one of her dresses when a soft knock on the door distracted her from her task. She left the dress, needle and thread on the table and stood up. When she opened the door, she found a little girl, not older than twelve, standing with her hands behind her back. Her blond hair was styled in perfect curls that rested on her shoulders, and her light blue dress was probably more expensive than Narissa's entire house. These details, together with her pale skin tone, indicated that the girl did not belong in that poor area of Port Royal. 

Before the woman could ask who was she, the girl spoke. "Good morning. Are you Miss Narissa Murphy?" She nodded, already used to her fake last name. "My name is Elizabeth Swann. I'm looking for William Turner, they told me at the orphanage that he lives here now." Will had been kicked out before Narissa met him. The director of the orphanage told him that he was old enough to find a job and they couldn't afford to take care of him anymore.

The woman raised an eyebrow, she recognised the girl's name, so she was wondering why the new governor's daughter had left her fancy house and come to this part of the town, just to see Will.

"Why do you want to see him?"

It took her more than just a second to reply. "I... I must give him something." Her hands tightened behind her back, holding something that Narissa couldn't see. If she had seen the golden coin with an engraved skull on its surface, maybe everything would have been different. But Elizabeth hid it from her then and during the following years.

"I'm sorry, but he's working and he won't be back until the evening." Elizabeth's expression showed disappointment upon hearing those words. "But whatever you have to give him, I can give it to him when he arrives."

"No!" she almost yelled immediately, to which Narissa frowned. "It has to be me." Elizabeth knew she couldn't let anybody know that Will owned a pirate coin. During the few days she'd spent with him on their voyage to Port Royal, she had started to care for him and they had become friends. She couldn't tell anyone, or she would risk seeing Will hanged. Therefore, she secretly kept the medallion in her small purse, making sure that the woman in front of her couldn't see what was in her hand.

"Alright..." Narissa replied doubtfully. She suspected the girl was hiding something from her, but since William had talked highly of her, she chose to trust her and not ask further questions. "In that case, I can't do anything to help. William can't be interrupted while he's working or mister Brown will be angry. Do you want me to walk you back home? You shouldn't go alone."

The girl looked around and saw beggars asking for money, drunk people trying to walk straight and two men fighting over a bet. She shook her head. "I can't go home yet. My father believes I'm taking my French lessons, but I told my teacher that I felt sick so I could skip today's class. My father would never let me come to this part of the town."