11. Revealed Secrets

The time has come for my dreams to be heard

~●~○~●~

Standing at the wheel, Jack stared at the woman he used to love as she talked joyfully with her friend on the main deck, while Will sharpened his sword. Sailing with her again made him feel a peculiar way. He didn't want to be betrayed again, but he couldn't deny that he had missed having her on his ship.

She always managed to light up everyone's day, filling the atmosphere around her with joy and cheering up even the worst-tempered sailors with her jokes and her carefree attitude. Moreover, she was a hard-working pirate. She could do the job of two men in half the time without mistakes, executing her captain's orders with no hesitation. He had to thank Barbossa for her obedience.

The captain wondered what Narissa had been doing during the last ten years. He couldn't imagine her life without the ocean and, by the satisfied look on her face when they had finally set sail, he could tell that she had missed the sea terribly. It didn't surprise him at all; he had always compared her to the ocean: A beautiful image, but a wild soul; apparently innocent and calmed, until you fathomed her depths and discovered that there was something dangerous about her. And still, for some unknown reason, he couldn't live without her.

Narissa without the sea... It just wasn't right. She belonged there, above the waves.

He could still hear her soft voice whispering "I'm sorry" against his ear, the click of the shackles being locked around his wrists, the yells of his crewmen, his heart pounding inside his chest like a drum. He couldn't understand what he had done wrong for her to turn against him like that; he thought that he had treated well, that she had feelings for him just like he did for her. Everything had been a lie: her laughs, her flirtatious ways, her blushing cheeks, her compliments...

Jack had got lost in his own thoughts and was pulled back to the real world upon hearing Narissa laughing at something that Will had said. He wondered how did Barbossa's daughter end up being such a close friend with Turner's son; it was a strange coincidence. He tied a rope to the wheel to keep the ship steady, left the helm and walked towards the main deck.

"How did you two meet?" he asked, apparently indifferent, while he tightened a line.

He was expecting Narissa to tell the story, but Will was the one who explained instead, while he kept sharpening the sword. "When I was a lad living in England, my mother raised me by herself. After she died, I came out here, looking for my father..." He stopped to glance at Jack, waiting for him to confess that he knew his father, as he had noticed back at the prison. Seeing that the pirate didn't react, in fact he didn't look interested at all, he continued. "I was caught stealing some bread once, that's when I met Narissa. She payed for the bread and took me to her house, I've lived there since then. I had no home, no family, no job, no money... She saved me." Narissa smiled at him fondly as he talked.