8. A Visit

She can kill with a smile, she can wound with her eyes

~●~○~●~

That night, Jack sat on the bench of a prison cell, his back leaned against the wall, trying to sleep. The pirates on the next cell were trying to make the dog that carried the keys approach them, waving a bone at him. It was useless.

He got tired of hearing them. "You can keep doing that forever, the dog is never going to move," he commented.

One of the prisoners told him "Oh, excuse us if we haven't resigned ourselves to the gallows just yet."

Jack simply smiled and closed his eyes, hoping that this night would end soon. He heard soft footsteps approaching. He stood by the locked door and held the bars of his cell, staring at the figure that quietly walked down the stairs in the darkness. When the person came into the light, he recognised Narissa. She was wearing his hat and he didn't know if he should smile at this or be furious. It was his hat, but she looked good with it as well.

As soon as they could see her, the other prisoners started to yell all sort of obscenities at her. Being used to this, she decided to ignore them, hoping that they'd give up if she just didn't pay them any attention.

"What are you doing here?" He tried to sound indifferent, but in fact, as much as he hated it, he was glad that she had gone there to see him.

Narissa removed the brown hat from her head and handed it to him through the bars. "I thought you'd want it back."

Jack took it without hesitation and set it on his head. "How did you get here?"

She smirked proudly. "Murtogg and Mullroy are guarding the prison tonight. I always manage to get what I want from those two."

"How fortunate," he muttered. "So you came down here simply because you wanted to give me my hat back?" he asked with a skeptical expression.

"It's been so long... Ten years." She sighed. "When I saw you today, I couldn't believe my eyes. I needed to talk to you." Narissa glanced at the yelling prisoners for a second and inhaled deeply to calm herself down and not let her rage take control of her. Since she was ignoring them, they had started to shout to her even louder.

That night, Will wouldn't come back home until very late, as he had to clean up the mess that Jack and him had made at the blacksmith's shop, and he still had to do the job he hadn't done in the morning because of Jack's intrusion. Therefore, she decided it would be a good idea to visit her old friend before he was hung the next morning.

Their eyes locked, blue met brown, and Jack felt a sudden urge to hug her tightly and tell her he had missed her terribly, if only those bars weren't standing between them. However, his craving for her disappeared when the memories of what she had done to him ran through his mind, she had betrayed him, he shouldn't have these thoughts.