10. Against the Law

My only home: the sea

~●~○~●~

She couldn't believe what they were doing, but she loved the rush of adrenaline running through her. Peeking out from beneath a bridge near the busy docks, Narissa and Will looked around nervously, keeping a sharp eye in case any sailor caught them. Beyond the docks, a vast ship, the Dauntless, dominated the waters. Jack stared at it as his mind produced one of his complicated plans.

"We're going to steal a ship?" Will asked before his eyes followed the pirate's gaze to look at the Dauntless. "That ship?"

"Commandeer. We're going to commandeer that ship," he corrected, pointing at the Interceptor instead. "Nautical term."

"It's still against the law," the young man protested.

Narissa sighed and said "So is breaking a man out of jail. The law is the least of our concerns right now. Just enjoy the experience, William." She grinned, excited about the adventure that was ahead of them.

Jack smiled at her words, sensing her yearning for the sea. He was glad that she was behind him, so she couldn't see that she had made him smile. "Listen to Nari, boy, she's the only one speaking some sense here." Then, he erased his smile and turned around, giving Will a critical look. "One question about your business, boy, or there's no use going. This girl? How far are you willing to go to save her?"

Without a glimpse of hesitation, he replied "I'd die for her."

The pirate seemed relieved by his answer and he turned around again to study the docks. "Oh, good. No worries, then."

Narissa stood by his side. "So..." She leaned into his ear. "Do you have a plan already?"

He gave her a side glance and smirked; then, when nobody was around, he signaled his companions to follow him towards a group of fishing boats that rested upside down on the beach.

"What are we doing?" Will asked quite confused when Jack told him to get under one of those boats.

"Trust me, this will work," the captain reassured him.

Narissa knew that Jack was a clever man and his bizarre ideas usually worked, like his escape from Norrington the previous day, but she was a bit skeptical about this. "Have you done this before, captain?"

"Aye! Why is it so difficult for you two to do as I say?" He was growing impacient, since a group of soldiers were approaching.

Hesitantly, Will and Narissa got under the fishing boat. Jack followed and settled at the front. When they couldn't hear the footsteps of the nearby soldiers, they decided that the area was clear and rised up the boat, carrying it into the water. Surprisingly, they were able to walk along the ocean floor. The water reached their shoulders, but a bubble of air beneath the boat hull allowed them to breathe with no problem.