27. Seaglass

She never gives out and she never gives in

~●~○~●~

Jack Sparrow was a troubled man, tormented. He hadn't had an easy life, from his childhood to his adult years. However, no matter how many things were in his mind disturbing him, he would always keep them to himself. Putting on a brave face, he'd pretend that he didn't care about anything or anyone. It was just his way to cope with everything that could hurt him. Narissa knew this and respected it, but there were times in which she wished he'd talk to her and express his concerns and struggles. Instead, she usually had to guess what was going on, like reading his mind, and sometimes it wasn't so easy. This was one of those times.

Since Norrington's attack, he had barely talked to anyone in the ship for more than a week. Spending most of his time alone by the helm, lost in the thoughts that he drowned in rum. If he wasn't there, he'd be in his cabin, sat at the desk and leaning over a large map and a few books. He'd be so focused on them, he wouldn't even notice Narissa walking into the quarters. He would get in bed really late too, when Narissa was already fast asleep. Every time she'd ask him what he was doing or what was happening to him, his reply was a simple "Nothing, love" or "Don't worry about it". Every member of the crew had noticed his recent weird behaviour, but nobody was as worried as her.

Since Jack spent most of his time by himself, Narissa enjoyed the company of the other Jack, the monkey, when she wasn't busy working with the crew. Sitting in the crow's nest, the small animal sat on her stretched out legs, looking at her somber face. She grabbed a handful of peanuts that she kept for him in her pocket; the pet happily took two of them with his tiny hands and, instead of eating it, he kept them in a small pocket of his little vest. Then, he walked closer to her and climbed up her chest until he found a comfortable position to lay there, his hairy head resting on her shoulder. It seemed that he could sense her distress.

She sighed as she inadvertently petted his fur. "I wish Jack told me what's going on with him. Have you also noticed he's been acting strange lately?" As if understanding her, the animal let out a soft sound. "Aye, he hasn't even tried to shoot you these days, not even once." The pirate had taken a liking to shooting the monkey for fun, or as a stress relief, taking into advantage the fact that he couldn't die. "I understand he won't open up to the crew, that's just the way he is. But to me? Jack and I... We have something special, I think. I don't get why he won't tell me." The monkey's tiny hand reached out to stroke her chin. She smiled at the adorableness. "Could it be something about me?" She wondered if he had got tired of her so soon and she was upsetting him by her presence.

~●~○~●~

That night, as Narissa walked into the cabin, she found Jack at his desk once again, browsing a book keenly. An oil lamp hanged from the ceiling over him and his face was illuminated by a few candlesticks. The glass bottle that was on the table was empty; she rolled her eyes when she spotted it.