4. Honesty

A dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest

~●~○~●~

The swords clashed against each other. The blades slashed the air in fast swift movements. The sound of the metal colliding was loud, but not loud enough to awaken Mr. Brown; he was sleeping on a chair at a corner of the blacksmith's workshop. It would be extremely difficult to wake him up, nigh impossible, mainly because he was drunk.

Narissa and William were practicing, as usual, at the blacksmith's. Each of them was wielding two swords. Narissa held her own sword with the right hand, and one made by Will with the left one. With a quick strong move, she accomplished to drop one of Will's swords from his left hand. He kept fighting her with only one weapon, although he was having some difficulty. All of a sudden, Narissa kicked his other sword out of his grasp. She kicked him powerfully again behind his legs, making him fall on his knees.

Feeling the sharp edges of her two crossed blades against his neck, Will looked up at her, worn-out and breathing heavily. Exhausted, Narissa smirked down at him. "Dead," she stated playfully before withdrawing the swords from the young man's skin.

She placed her own sword back into its sheath and extended her hand to help him stand up. He accepted her hand and stood on his feet, slightly annoyed at her. "That's not fair. You can't just kick me!" he complained. Now she was the one looking up at him; Will had grown up a lot since they met and now he was quite taller than her.

Narissa laughed loudly. "Stop whining! You can't just expect your opponent to fight fairly. In a real duel, there's no such thing as fair play," she said while leaving the sword made by her friend next to the many others.

"I know, but that's not an honest way of fighting," he kept protesting, wiping the sweat out of his forehead with the sleeve of his shirt.

Narissa sighed deeply, it was exasperating. "It's not about being honest, it's about surviving!" His honesty would drive her mad one day. He reminded her so much of his father, always trying to do the right thing, to follow the rules. She admired this quality of him, but he had to understand that people out there weren't like him; he needed to be ready for everything. "Most people don't think like you do, William. You should try to be dishonest for once."

The young man knew she was right and he should listen to her; she was the best swordswoman he had ever met. He had been impressed by her skills from the first day, specially because she was a girl. Narissa was strong and fast, very agile, and she could use her legs and fists as well if she had to. When he had asked her years ago where she had learned to fight like that, she simply replied that her father and some friends had instructed her; she gave no details, just like every time he asked about her life before she arrived at Port Royal.

Placing his swords next to the rest, Will said "I need to go home now and get changed." He looked down at his dirty clothes. "I must go to the Governor's house today."

Narissa sat on a neaby barrel and took a bite of a green apple she had brought with her. "Gonna see your girlfriend?" she asked teasingly, obviously referring to the Governor's daughter, while chewing the fruit.

The young blacksmith sent her an annoyed look that screamed "shut up", but Narissa noticed his cheeks were slightly reddened and she tried to stifle her laugh, failing miserably. She had known about his feelings for Elizabeth for years; the boy had been desperately in love with her since the day they met. Of course, her being a noble woman and him a simple blacksmith, he would never dare to confess his affection for her.

Shaking his head and smiling, Will walked towards something next to the furnace where he worked on his swords. Narissa, still sitting on the barrel, looked at him with curiousity. He picked up a large object. He removed the blanket that covered it as he walked back towards her, revealing the item: a black sword case.

Her curiosity grew when Will said "It took days to make this." He stood in front of Narissa and opened the case. Inside, there was a beautiful elegant sword whose handle was decorated with delicate gold filigree. He added "It's for today's Captain Norrington's promotion ceremony. He's becoming Commodore and mister Brown was asked to make the ceremonial sword... Which means I had to make it."

She nodded, remembering that he had mentioned there would be an important ceremony some day; she hadn't given it much importance. The woman gently caressed the sword's handle. It truly was fascinating. "William... This is a wonderful work, a masterpiece. Norrington will love it."

He thanked her, satisfied with his work, while he closed the case carefully. She looked at him proudly. She knew Will worked very hard, he put all of his effort and passion into the things he loved; the problem was he usually didn't get the credit he deserved for it.

"What are you doing today? I suppose you won't attend the ceremony," Will asked her, knowing that she wasn't fond of those special gatherings.

"Your supposition is correct," she replied, jumping down from the barrel. "I don't think they'd let me in wearing these clothes, anyway." She was wearing dark trousers, brown boots and a white shirt that showed some cleavage and was starting to look yellow. "I think I'll just go to the docks or to the beach," she concluded, taking a last bite from her apple.

"Alone?" Will asked. When Narissa went for a walk, she usually did it with Elizabeth. However, as the Governor's daughter would go to the ceremony, he knew she wouldn't be able to enjoy her friend's company that day.

"I am not going alone," Narissa corrected him with a laugh. "I prefer to say: with the lovely company of myself. I'll see you later, William." She grabbed her dark blue coat and walked to the door. "Send my regards to your girlfriend," she finished, waving goodbye to him and heading to the docks.

The woman walked through the town with a smile on her face, whistling the pirates song that she and Elizabeth still sang from time to time. The sun shone brightly, the birds sang beautifully and the weather was very nice.

It was another normal day. She was absolutely not ready to see him again.

~●~○~●~

Hello, mates!
Hope you liked the new chapter.
Jackie boy is coming in the next one 😉
D.Xx