5. An Unexpected Meeting

For this soon shall pass, like the high tide takes the sand

~●~○~●~

The sun brushed Narissa's tanned skin delicately as she wandered around the beach. She inhaled deeply the fresh scent of the sea and closed her eyes in satisfaction. She missed sailing. She missed the ocean. Sometimes, she even missed piracy. It may have not been the most honest of lives, but she had enjoyed every second of it. A life full of trouble and danger, without rules, with nobody to trust, with everyone around you being a possible enemy. It was thrilling.

The truth was that Narissa had only felt totally free when she was a pirate. When she abandoned that life, a little part of her was gone. Or maybe that part of her disappeared when Jack left her life. In Port Royal, she felt chained. It had been a clever idea to start a new life there, as no pirate would ever dare to set foot on a place like that. However, she had regretted her decision a few times. She craved the ocean. She desired to feel the deck of a rocking ship under her feet again; she needed to feel the rain of a storm at sea and 3listen to the intense thunders and the waves crashing against the hull; she longed the sensation of the wind running through her hair when she sat at the crow's nest.

Her feet brought her to the docks and her thoughts were disturbed by a very familiar deep voice saying "I've heard of one! It's supposed to be fast, nigh uncatchable... The Black Pearl."

The mention of that name drew her attention to the foreign conversation. A man was talking with Murtogg and Mullroy, two sailors who were guarding one of the navy's ships: the Interceptor. Narissa knew them; the guys were quite simple, even ridiculous. She had used her charm to trick them many times in order to get some profit in certain situations; usually, this meant getting away with stealing. The two men seemed to fancy her and she knew how to take advantage of it.

The woman frowned when she heard the mysterious man's voice. "Could it be him?" She shook her head at the thought; it was impossible. Only a mad man would come to Port Royal if he was a pirate. Then again, Jack had never been very rational.

The man, who wore a long dark coat, had his back turned to her, so she couldn't see his face. However, she distinguished his long dark hair in a bunch of dreadlocks and braids, decorated with many beads. A brown tricorn hat rested on his head; it really looked like Jack's beloved hat.

While Murtogg and Mullroy kept debating whether the Black Pearl was a real ship or not, the unknown man walked towards the ship which they were supposed to be guarding. They were so focused on their own argument that they didn't even notice he had slipped away from them.

From her current position, Narissa still was not able to see the face of the man that she hoped was her old friend, he was too far away. In order to get a better look at him, she decided to join him on the Interceptor. She walked quickly, yet quietly, when she passed by the two empty-headed sailors.