6. The Daring Rescue

Drapetomania: An overwhelming urge to run away

~●~○~●~

She didn't know how much time they spent on the Interceptor. Narissa and the sailors listened intently to Jack Sparrow's tales about some of his many adventures. Jack stood by the wheel as he talked; the woman was sitting next to him with her legs crossed and her elbows resting on her knees, her chin leaned on the palms of her hands. She wished she could have lived all those adventures with him. She listened to him admiringly, laughing from time to time at his funny remarks; Jack had always had the ability to make her laugh easily. She realised then how much she had missed his smooth voice.

"And then they made me their chief," Jack concluded his story about how he was once captive of a tribe. Murtogg and Mullroy seemed perplexed.

Their attention was drawn away from him when the figure of a woman fell into the water from the battlements built at the edge of a cliff. Every head turned to her, the four of them stood up and leaned on the rail of the ship.

Narissa looked up at the top of the cliff when she heard a male voice shout "Elizabeth!!!" It was Norrington, who looked like he was about to jump into the water. Her eyes widened as she stared at the water. How did her friend end up falling into the sea from there?

"Will you be saving her then?" Jack asked the two sailors, hesitating on what to do. Saving the drowning girl could make the authorities find him and imprison him.

"I can't swim!" Mullroy replied. Jack glanced at Murtogg, who just stared back at him and shook his head.

"Pride of the King's Navy you are," he commented.

"Well, someone has to do something!" Narissa exclaimed impatiently while taking off her coat and dropping her sword, ready to get into the water. After taking a few steps back, she ran towards the rail of the ship and jumped into the cold sea.

The men weren't expecting that at all. Jack smiled slightly; she'd always been unpredictable. However, he started to worry when he realised that the girls had been in the water for too long and it seemed that they weren't coming back any time soon. This time without any glimpse of hesitation, but a little pissed off, he handed the guards his hat, and all of his effects. "Do not lose these," he ordered before diving into the water to save the girls.

He swam to the bottom, where he saw Narissa struggling to take off Elizabeth's velvet dress, it was making both girls drown. He dived quickly towards them and together they managed to get rid of the heavy dress, which drowned like a cloud into darkness. Like this, they were able to swim faster to the surface.