23. Goodbye

Her tears were the raindrops from the storms she kept inside

~●~○~●~

That morning there was not a single cloud on the sky. The sun shone brightly and kissed Narissa's skin intensely. She was leaning on her elbows, resting them on the rail of the Dauntless. She looked at the seagulls that were flying in the distance; they were getting closer to land, to Port Royal. She bit her lower lip, nervous. She had been on edge since they set foot on the ship, so now her lip had a few cuts caused by her own teeth. Will stood by her side. They heard distant voices that belonged to Elizabeth, her father and the Commodore. It sounded like they were arguing.

"They told me what happened to my father." Will broke the silence. She gulped; she knew this moment would come sooner or later. "They tied him to a cannon and threw him overboard."

Narissa closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm very sorry. He didn't deserve that." Looking at him, she saw the pain evident in her friend's eyes. "I should have told you, but I didn't have the guts to do it."

Nodding in understanding, he said with a broken voice "He was still cursed. He couldn't die, stuck at the bottom of the ocean."

Realizing where the conversation was going, the woman tried to interrupt him. "William, don't-"

"I killed my father by breaking the curse."

Upon noticing his eyes filling up with tears, Narissa's arms immediately enveloped her brother in a tight hug. Will rested his head on her shoulder, crying softly, while she caressed the hair on the back of his head.

Once his sobs ceased, he hesitantly broke the hug. "Are you going to leave? To go back to piracy?"

"Probably, if they don't lock me in a cell for helping Jack escape prison and commandeering a ship with him," she replied, unsure. She didn't want to leave him alone, but he was a grown man and she knew he didn't need her anymore.

He pondered his next words. He wanted her to be happy and free, and he now understood that she could only be happy and free at sea. However, he'd missed her a lot, and he would be constantly worried about her. He cared for her as much as she cared for him. "I really hope you can leave," he said in the end.

She sent him a genuine smile, thankful, knowing that he finally accepted her as the pirate she was. She hugged him until they heard someone coughing behind them. Governor Swann and Commodore Norrington stood there, their faces were stern.

"Mister Turner, Miss Murphy," the Governor started. "Taking into consideration the recent events and my daughter's pleas, we understand that the intent of your actions was merely to rescue Elizabeth."

Guessing what he wanted to say, Narissa raised an eyebrow. "So...?" she urged him.

"So neither of you will receive any form of punishment for your encounter with piracy," the man concluded.