28. Stronger

Luckily, I'm a woman

~●~○~●~

A large map was spread over the table as the calipers roamed along it. In his cabin, Jack Sparrow stared at the map as he figured out how far they were from the island named Baltia. He looked at his compass now and then, making sure that they were heading in the right direction. It wouldn't take them long to reach the legendary island: only two or three days at most, he estimated.

Leaning back on the chair, he looked at Narissa, who was laying on their bed. Her nose was stuck in a book, his favourite one. She had asked him for it some days before and, since then, she read a few pages every night underthe light of a single candle. She was captivated by its stories. He smiled fondly as he noticed how her lips moved reading the words in silence. Her eyes were fixed on the yellowing pages, barely blinking. She didn't take her eyes off the text until she felt Jack's lips on her temple. Closing the book, she got under the covers while Jack undressed himself.

"Which part are you reading?" he asked, removing his boots.

"The fountain of youth."

He grinned. "Oh, that's one of my favourites." As he got into bed, he noticed Narissa was shivering slightly, keeping the covers close to her. Draping an arm around her body, he pulled her closer to him. "Are you cold, love?"

She nodded. When they had sailed into the northern seas of Europe, the weather had gotten noticeably colder. Being used to the Caribbean's tropical climate, her body found it difficult to accommodate. "I'll get used to it. I've been stuck in the Caribbean for too long." She chuckled at herself: A pirate not used to the temperature changes, how ridiculous!

Smirking, Jack's flirty side surfaced. "Let me warm you up, then." His hands travelled along her skin until they reached the strap of her camisole, pulling it down. She couldn't resist him and kissed him frantically before he proceeded to warm her up the way he knew best.

~●~○~●~

Just as expected, Baltia was in sight two days later, near the southern coast of Finland. It was getting dark already. The sun was setting behind the island, tinting the sea with a golden glow. The orange sky was hidden behind some clouds and a few raindrops fell weakly upon them. Between the mist, the sailors spotted in the distance some creatures jumping out of the water, like dolphins, but their tails didn't look like any animal's they had ever seen.

"What's that?" asked Narissa standing by the Pearl's rail. Her eyes narrowed trying to identify those creatures.

"Mermaids," answered Gibbs without a trace of doubt.

Jack showed up behind them. "They stay around the island, mourning for their lost powers."

Narissa frowned. She had never seen a mermaid before, but she remembered the things that her father had told her about them. "How are we going to reach the island? Mermaids attract male sailors to them with their melodies."