26. Norrington Attacks

Smiling through it, she said she'd do it again

~●~○~●~

When the Black Pearl set sail to Italy from Tortuga after picking some new members for their crew, the wind was on their side and the crew was in a good mood. Jack was in a better mood than anybody else, having his ship back and Narissa by his side. The woman looked at him with admiration in her eyes, her fingers tracing the little anchor that hanged from her neck, something that had recently become a habit. He looked so happy, softly caressing the wheel's dark wood from time to time; it was similar to the way he gently touched her. He looked at his ship with enamoured eyes, the same way he watched her.

She teared her eyes from the captain when she heard yelling from the gun deck. A clueless expression was on her face as she looked at the stairs in wonder.

"Narissa, dear, go see what's happening with those idiots," Jack's voice rose, annoyed.

She nodded and walked down the stairs cautiously, following the pirate's voices that came from below the deck. The place was barely lit by a few oil lamps and some sunlight came through the gunports. Her hand was ready on the handle of her sword. The light finally allowed her to see what was happening and she laughed loudly at the scene in front of her: Joshamee Gibbs, yelling like a schoolgirl, trying to get rid of the small monkey that was pulling his hair. The other two sailors that were with him tried to take the animal away from their friend's neck, but every time they got near the monkey, it would screech at them and they'd scream in pure fear.

"Men!" Her voice was loud and held a tint of amusement. They all noticed that she was there and immediately stopped yelling, pretending to be calm, except Gibbs, who was still fighting the monkey and losing the battle. Narissa walked up to him and the animal stopped bothering him, looked at her, tilted his little head to one side and, after recognising her, jumped onto her shoulder. She looked at the creature curiously; what the hell was he doing here? "I can't believe you, grown men, are afraid of this little thing." She petted his fur.

"That thing is evil, miss Narissa, I'm telling you!" Gibbs exclaimed, a drop of sweat running along his forehead.

"You're overreacting, Joshamee. How could this guy be evil? Right, Jacky?" she asked the animal and he squealed, as if he understood her completely. "Go back to work, men, and be thankful I won't be telling the captain I just saw you all crying like a child who just saw a ghost."

Nodding, ashamed, the men went back to work. The woman returned to the main deck, the monkey settled on her shoulder playing with her hair. She wondered how the hell they hadn't seen him before.

As soon as she was near enough, Jack frowned. "What the bloody hell is that thing doing here?"

She shrugged, the monkey got off her shoulders after the sudden movement. "He must have been here for a while, apparently. How come nobody saw it until now?"