A Scary Chapter Just For You

Newt Scamander loved animals (or creatures to be more precise) but he also loved you, which was why he hoped to introduce you, the person he loved, to the hobby he adored.

You of course had been more than eager to learn about magical beasts, especially since it allowed you to spend more time with your boyfriend.

Now you would never freely tell Newt this- goodness knows he would never let you forget it- but you loved watching him talk passionately about the latest critter he had seen, whilst roaming around the grounds of Hogwarts or what discussion he had shared with the merpeople in the Great Lake. Your heart never failed to skip a beat at the sight of his glittering eyes or the way he empathised certain elements of his storytelling with hand gestures. Watching him talk about his love of magical creatures made you truly want to be in on the action.

So when Newt had suggested a mignight walk through the Forbidden Forest (which he had obviously visited on more than one occasion), you immediately had said yes, knowing that with him, you would be more than safe.

And that was how you ended up in the Forbidden Forest...

...lost.

Apparently Newt was not quite yet the amazing navigator you had assumed him to be and unfortunately for you two, you could not apparate with the constraints of Hogwart's grounds. Stumbling around the forest it was!

Despite your growing fear of the dark and dangerous, you attempted to find the positive in the so far not so positive situation, at least you were with Newt. Things could have been a lot worse, you could have been alone in the forest, having to wander around the spooky woods by yourself-

As you glanced to your left, you realised that Newt was no longer beside you. Whilst in your own little world, you hadn't noticed him stop to observe his surroundings and so, you had continued to maunder off course. Now you were well and lost. Newtless.

Okay, stay calm, you thought to yourself. Maybe if I call his name, he'll hear me? "N-Newt..." you initially called feebly, aware that nearby creatures might hear you and think you a tasty, helpless snack. They weren't wrong. "Newt!" you called again, this time with a louder, more determined voice. "Newt!"

"Newt!" you suddenly heard something screech back. A scratchy, hysterical call. It didn't sound as if it was nearby and for that, you were somewhat grateful.

"Newt, can you hear me?!" you yelled, hoping for him to reply.

"Newt!" it cried again, this time the voice was much closer. Whatever was making the sound...was moving towards you but through the trees and pale moonlight, you couldn't see anything moving towards you.

"N-Newt..." you stammered, now well and truly terrified.

Snap. Snap. Ahead of you, you heard twigs crack underfoot. Rummaging in your pockets, you desperately searched for your wand. A wave of horrified realisation washed over you. You had dropped your wand.

Snap. Snap. The sound forced you to not focus on your lost wand but on the danger heading towards you.

You braced yourself, ready for whatever you were about to come face to face with.

Snap. Snap.

You couldn't see anything approaching through the trees. what could it be?

Snap. Snap.

The footsteps were so close now.

Snap. Sn-

You waited for the second snap but it never came. Had the creature hesitated? Was it watching you through the trees? You waited with bated breath, the hairs on the back of you neck standing on pointe but the second snap never came.

Instead you felt the warm, stale breath travel along the bare length of your neck. Whatever it was in the trees was no longer in front of you...

...but behind.

TO BE CONTINUED...