Newt Alphabet: D is for...Dying (Guest Appearance from Tina)

Dying

Dying.

****

Hospital appoinments, your worst nightmare. You hated having to sit through the whole thirty minutes as the doctors told you how your final days would be. Everytime you sat in that brilliant white office that smelt of domestic bleach that made her you dizzy, you always tried to picture yourself somewhere else. Still being told the same information, just anywhere but that hellish office.

This time, you  imagined Tina talking to you about your final minutes on Earth.

You were sat on the steps leading to the Goldstein's apartment, your knees brought up to chest and your arms wrapped around them. You rested your chin on your knees, trying to hide your fear. "Is it going to hurt?" your voice sounded small, barely audiable but your friend could hear you.

Tina sat closely beside you, her shoulder resting against yours. Your friend was so close, that you could see the slight rise and fall of her chest underneath the thick velvet jacket. "No," she plainly stated. "any pain you feel will be managed by large doses of drugs and anything else we can provide you with."

You closed your eyes, knowing that your next question would be more painful to explain than the last. "Can you tell...what's going to happen, you know, when..." you opened your eyes slightly, glancing in Tina's direction. 

She was now looking at you, her eyes full of sorrow and dispair. "It'll...it'll become harder for you to breathe." the brunette whispered, her eye contact never leaving yours. "Only, you won't notice. The-The rest of your organs will fail. By then, you'll just slip away."

"'Slip away'?"

Tina paused, fighting tears. "You'll just become unconscious and drift to sleep. Then...that'll be it."

"I'll be dead." tears threatened to leak from your eyes but you forced yourself to stay strong.

You friend nodded. "You'll be dead."

You turned away from her and nodded. You accepted your fate, knowing that you couldn't escape it. "Dead." you whispered, burying your face in your hands.

"'Some days I feel everything at once. Other day I feel nothing at all. I don't know what's worse drowning beneath the waves or dying from the thirst.'" Tina quoted as she pulled your shaking form into her arms, kissing the top of you head.

"Who is that by?"

She shrugged. "O.M. apparently."

You chuckled softly. "It's a bit morbid, don't you think?"

Tina squeezed her arms around you in comfort. "A bit."

"Tina?"

"Mmm?"

"Is...is he going to be okay without me?"

Of course she didn't need to answer that question, you already knew what she would say.

"Do you understand everything I've said, (Miss/Mrs/Sir) (Y/L/N)?"

You found yourself back in the office, no longer in the safety of your daydream. Tina had been replaced by your middle-aged practitioner, Doctor Watson.

You nodded.

Newt's right hand was entwined with your left. The thirty odd year old male looked at you, his eyes red with tears and glistening paths of salted water, trailing down his cheeks. "We're going to get through this." he brought your hand to his lips, placing a tender kiss upon it. "We'll work things out."

Answer? He was not going to be all right. Your death would most likely tear his heart into pieces. Your death would leave no prisoners. When you died, he would be destroyed.