Chapter 8

{Kaelynn}

Mikayla and I walked into our home quietly. Neither one of us wanted to talk about what happened with Jahmir.

Violence isn't something that we enjoy seeing. At least I don't. Our mother's last boyfriend did nothing but belittle her and put her down. I even think he used to hit her, but she would never let us see it. He was way out of hand. They were together for almost two years. That was almost right after her and dad broke up. Maybe she was looking for someone to fill dad's void, but she got more than she wanted.

I don't like confrontation, which is why I got upset with Jay. I do understand that he was only trying to defend me though.

Then he just had to find out about Omar and Nia. I'm glad that I didn't have to be the one to tell him about it.

One day, last school year, I caught them about to have sex in the girl's restroom. Nia threatened to beat my ass if I ever told Jahmir about it. She didn't intimidate me at all, it was Omar who put fear in me when he agreed to help her with that if Jahmir found out.

I felt bad about not telling him what was going on, but... as I just mentioned, I don't like confrontation. I've been in a fight before, but that doesn't mean I actually fought back.

Now I don't have to worry about them anymore. Those dumb asses gave themselves away.

"What are you about to do Kaelynn?" Kayla asked me.

"Don't worry about it."

I felt her hand on my arm, so I looked back at her. She had those stupid puppy dog eyes.

"No really. I was thinking maybe you could come to the mall with my friends and I."

She was just saying how she hangs out with girls who are less pretty than her. Why would I jump at the opportunity to hang out with her now? We haven't voluntarily hung out with each other in a while.

"So I can be your chauffeur? No, I'm good. I'll pass on that wonderful opportunity."

She followed me into the living room. I sat on the chair just so she wouldn't sit beside me. She sat on the arm of the sofa though.

"Kaelynn, why do you treat me like this?"

She seemed genuinely concerned, which sparked my curiosity. Normally she wouldn't give a damn how I feel about her... or anybody for that matter.

There is a long list of reasons why I don't like her. She's young. I'm still fairly young too, but she's even younger. Usually the younger you are, the less problems you have. Of course that's not always the case though. She's popular. People love being around her. People are only around me because they have no choice to be. Even though she doesn't always like to show it, she's really smart. She has never failed a class, and she is a quick learner. She's even fluent in Spanish. For some reason she pretends as if she isn't at school though. Maybe because she thinks her little airhead friends would think it's lame that she pays attention in class.

Most importantly, she is skinny and beautiful. That isn't to say that only skinny women are cute. Some curves look nice, but they aren't the ones that I have. She looks nice in anything she puts on. He doesn't have to worry about a muffin top or rolls bulging out the sides of her shirt. She doesn't have to worry about if her pants will fit past her thighs.

Basically, I can cut the list down to one word: jealousy. I envy her. Will I ever let her know that though? Most likely not. She'll probably just hold it over my head.

"It's not fair for you to treat me this way."

It's not fair for you to be so beautiful. We came from the same two people and I'm the one that turned out ugly.

"Life isn't fair. You should get over it."

"Why should I have to get over it if you won't?"

See, her smart mouth is another reason why I don't like her. I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out why she suddenly cares.

I got up and went upstairs to my room. Trying to close the door on her still didn't prevent her from coming in. She pushed my door back open so wide that it smacked the wall. I sat on my bed and watched her as she stood over me with tears in her eyes.

"Jay wasn't the only one who had his relationship end at open house. Zay broke up with me."

So that's why she's had the sudden change of heart. She's probably hurt by the break up and she wants something else to occupy her mind. Her and Zay were together through middle school. He used to be all she talked about, but I noticed how his name left her mouth less  and less.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm not too sure what you want me to do about it."

"Kaelynn are you serious?! You always call me a brat, but it's you who's the real fucking brat!"

She put her finger in my face and that's when I stood back up. I smacked her hand then pushed her. She was shocked that I did that. Just as shocked as I was. She almost looked like she was on the verge of tears.

"I am NOT a brat! Excuse me for not caring that you broke up with that no good boy. What do you want me to do? Hold your hand? Hug you? Eat a tube of ice cream with you? I'm not doing any of those things."

"I was wrong. You're not a brat."

"Thank y-"

"YOU ARE A FUCKING ASSHOLE! NOBODY MADE YOU GAIN ALL THAT WEIGHT, YOU GAINED IT YOUR DAMN SELF! YOU MAKE IT OBVIOUS THAT YOU ARE INSECURE, AND BECAUSE OF THAT, YOU DECIDE TO BE A COLD HEARTED BITCH. YOU HAVE NO REGAURD FOR ANYBODY ELSE'S FEELINGS. WE TRY TO SHOW YOU WE LOVE YOU, BUT YOU ALWAYS PUSH EVERYONE AWAY. THAT'S WHY I STARTED DOING ME AND HANGING OUT WITH MY FRIENDS. I'M NOT ABOUT TO KISS YOUR ASS AND BABY YOUR FEELINGS. YOU DON'T CARE ENOUGH TO DO THAT FOR ANYBODY ELSE. PRETTY SOON, YOU WON'T HAVE ANYBODY AT ALL. THAT INCLUDES JAY! KEEP THAT IN MIND YOU ASSHOLE! I WON'T BOTHER YOU EVER AGAIN SINCE YOU HATE ME SO MUCH!"

She stomped right out my room after screaming at me. She left me to really think on her words.

What she said about Jahmir really puts fear into my heart. He's been in my life so long that life without him wouldn't seem right. I don't want to lose him... or her.

I have to apologize to the both of them. For now, though, I'll just sit in my room and get lost in my thoughts.

The ResistanceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara