Chapter 44

{Jahmir}

All day, I've been detailing cars. Most of them weren't that bad, but some of them looked like the owners just don't give a fuck about them. I couldn't imagine how someone could let their car get that filthy.

It wasn't until a few minutes ago that I seen Pop's car parked in front of the dealership. Lately, he has been acting very secretive. He's grown. He can do whatever he wants. I just find it strange. He stays gone most of the day. When he does come home, he goes straight to his room. The man I know would head straight to the kitchen. Maybe he's just going through something that he doesn't want to talk about. Something is definitely off about him. If it's meant for me to know, I'll find out though. I just pray it isn't anything bad.

Finally finishing another car, I let out a deep sigh. The owner of this car probably has kids. There were different color markers smeared all over the backseat. Not only that, but there were so many crushed up snacks in between the seats.

I walked into the office and tossed Jaxson the keys. Jaxson has been working at this shop for as long as I can remember. He's the head mechanic, and a damn good one at that.

"You're still here? Didn't you come in at like eight?" He questioned as he stood up. He grabbed a stack of papers and started looking through them.

"Yes."

"Is there any reason why you've been working so hard? I'm sure a youngin like you could find something way more fun things to do."

Life isn't all about fun.

Somehow I feel like Pops made him ask me that. I already told Pops why though. Well, I kind of lied. If I told him the truth, I don't know how he would react.

"Just trying to occupy my time. That's all." Same answer I gave pops.

"That's what I tried to tell Jo..." I gave him the side eye and he completely changed his sentence. "I thought that's what it was."

"Right. Well, I'll get started on the next one now."

I was about to turn and walk out, but my phone vibrated in my pocket. I took it out to see a few texts. Only two stood out to me though. The others were from people I don't talk to anymore.

My love:
Jaaaay, I love you bae. & I have a surprise for your birthday. We're going somewhere.

Kelly:
THANK YOU! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! You're seriously an angel. I'm so glad that God made our paths cross. I'll never be able to thank you enough. You've done so much greatness in your life at such a young age. I wish more youth would follow your footsteps.

I kind of hate that Faye made plans. I already made plans. I don't want to disappoint her, though, so I'll just have to cancel mine. As long as I'm with her, it'll be a great birthday. Doesn't matter what we do.

As far as Kelly, I'm kind of confused. I haven't talked to her in a few days. She already thanked me for the food I took to the help center that day. I'm not sure what I did now. Her words are really sweet though.

After I replied to them, Jaxson got my attention again. He put his phone down then came around the counter.

"Your grandfather told me to kick you out for the day." He shrugged. "Sorry, but those are his orders."