Chapter 10

"Hello Mr. Phillips." He invited me inside. "How have you been?"

"Life is good. I can fit into my sexy jeans from the 80s. My hair has been growing a little bit. Like a half of a half of an inch. Business is great. I can't complain." He nodded. "And what about you, young lady? Doing okay?"

"Yes, I'm alright."

That was really a lie. I'm not okay. I'm... I have mixed emotions right now. That's why I came here. I need someone to talk to.

"Good, good. Great."

There was an awkward silence. Jahmir's granddad is nice, he is just a little... weird. He says strange things sometimes. A perfect example would be mentioning his jeans that are way older than I am.

"So, what brings you here? Looking for my handsome, single grandson. Who happens to be single at this very momemt?"

Here's another example. He just said that Jahmir was single twice. That's strange. First his cousin, now his granddad.

"Is he here?"

Mr. Phillips smiled. "Yes. My single, adorable kid is here. His single behind is upstairs. Doing single people things. Probably watching Living Single on tv or something."

"Mr. Phillips, I would never date Jahmir."

This man gripped his chest and slid down the wall as if someone just shot him. I looked at him oddly for a moment before going towards the steps.

As soon as I stepped on the top step, I heard old R&B music. I followed it all the way to Jahmir's room.

There I see multiple stacks of clothing. Shorts in one pile, shoes in one pile, shirts in one pile, I even see some of the jackets he bought not too long ago. So he finally decided to clean that big ass closet of his. No guy needs that much space or that many clothes.

"Jay?"

He came from the closet with more new stuff. That's when he noticed me.

"Oh. Hey Kaelynn."

Kaelynn?! I'm not Kaelynn to him!

"Kaelynn?"

"That's your government, right?"

Yeah but... but... I thought I was your Faye.

"Anyway, what are you up to? Reorganizing your closet?"

"Yes. I have way too many clothes so I figure the help center could use them. There are a few men that go there. And maybe some of the women have sons who wear the same size as me."

I don't know too many that's going to give up their clothes like this. Especially clothes that they just purchased. Jahmir still wears a few of his clothes that he's had since middle school. I wonder why he would get rid of that stuff if he can wear it all. I wish I could wear half the things in my closet.

"Some of these still have price tags on them. I've never seen you wear most of these shoes. Why are you giving them away? You worked hard for these things whereas they didn't."

My question clearly annoyed him. It was just a simple question though. He isn't the reason that those people are homeless. He isn't the reason they don't have clothes or their own income. Why should he be responsible for giving them clothes? If he gives and gives, what motivation will they have for doing better for themselves?