Chapter 49

{Kaelynn}

Dinner at the Phillips' house went better than I expected. Eric, Harvey, and Cleo are like the cousins I wish I had. I don't really talk to my cousins much. Jahmir's cousins are more accepting of me. They accept me for who I am.

By the time everyone was finished eating, mom was here to get Kiya.

"Has she had a bottle?" She asked as I passed her the baby and the diaper bag.

It took her all damn day to come and get her daughter. She was probably too busy laying up with a married man. I've fed Kiya four times since I've had her.

"Yes."

I folded my arms across my chest when I saw Mike coming towards the door. The nerve of him showing his face around here. I expected them to still be together. This is a day he should be spending with his family. Not a woman who has no self love or self respect for herself.

"Hi Kaelynn." He tried to kiss my cheek, but I blocked it. Ain't no telling where his lips has been.

"Y'all have the baby now. You can go. Bye."

"Umm, I just wanted to say hi to Mr. John right quick. Excuse me baby girl."

When he walked away, mom gave me a scolding look. Why should I care? If I don't respect him, I'm not going to pretend like I do. In my opinion he's a pathetic excuse for a man.

"You don't have the right to treat your father like that. He has been nothing but good to you."

He's never been much of a father to me. All of his other kids have a way better bond with him. It's ironic though, because I am the oldest. But apparently that doesn't mean anything. The only "good" thing he's done for me is spent money on me.

I was about to just walk away from her, but she grabbed my arm.

"Don't forget where you lay your head at night."

If that's her way of threatening to kick me out, she just wasted her breath. Pretty much all of the money I've made from the salon is sitting pretty in my bank account. I make my own money so I don't need a damn thing from her anymore. I'm grown as fuck.

"What are you gonna do? Damn near kill me like you almost killed your other daughters?"

Instead of standing there arguing with her, I walked away from the door.

Since everyone was in the living room, I chose to go back into the kitchen. As I sat at the island, Jahmir and Mr. Phillips came in.

"Sam should clean the dishes, she used moat of them." Mr. Phillips said as he and Jahmir went over to the sink. "That girl can sure put it away. She damn sure left me with less leftovers than I expected."

Jahmir placed the stopper in the sink and started running hot water. He grabbed the dish washing liquid and put some in the water.

"Of all the things you got this morning, why didn't you get paper plates?"

John mean mugged Jahmir as if he'd just cussed him out.

"This was as good a reason as any to pull out the good plates. Not to mention I one hundred percent didn't think about paper plates until all the food was done." He shook his head. "It's sad that those kids won't do anything for me unless I pay them."