Chapter 31

{Jahmir}

Faye and I spent a good bit of the morning sorting through all of her clothes. She even found some that she feels comfortable keeping and wearing. I'm still surprised she even wanted to give her clothes away. It makes sense though. If she didn't give them away, they would just be sitting in her closet collecting dust.

After we were all done getting the clothes together, we came over to the help center.

"Are you sure you don't want me to get one?" Faye asked as I grabbed both of the last two brown containers. We already took two of them in.

"I'm good, just get the door please."

It seemed extra full today. I'm assuming that's because it's the weekend. I see way more kids than usual. It's sad that they have to be here, but at least most of them look happy.

After getting the clothes situated, we found Ms. Kelly in the lobby area. Lately she has been much more happier. That's great considering she was sad the last few times I seen her.

I waited until she was finished talking to two boys to say something to her.

"Hey Kelly, this is my friend Kaelynn. I just wanted you to know that all the clothes I brought in were all for her."

Kaelynn shyly waved at Kelly. "I hope the clothes help."

Kelly smiled and gave Kaelynn a brief hug. "Of course they'll help! Thank you so much for donating. Anything we get can help us."

We talked a few more minutes. Ms. Kelly was asking Kaelynn basic questions. I noticed that the more they talked, the more Kaelynn was able to relax. Meeting new people gives her so much anxiety.

"I would love to keep on talking with you two, but I really must help preparing lunch. We have a large crowd today, so hopefully we have enough for everyone."

"Maybe I c-"

"Can I h-"

Faye and I were about to talk at the same time, but I let her go first.

"Well I was just going to ask if I could help."

This is not the same person I knew a month ago. The person I knew then didn't even see the point in helping the homeless. This person is a person that I'm much more proud to call my friend. I was just expecting us to drop the clothes off and keep going. I had no idea she would want to stay.

"Of course sweetheart! Thank you very much. And you Jahmir?"

"Oh, I was just going to head to the store and get more food."

"No way." She shook her head. "Jahmir you do so much for us. We'll work with what we have."

So many times, I questioned why I couldn't have a mother like Ms. Kelly. She is such a selfless person who cares for everyone she meets. It would have been nice to have been raised by someone like her. Then I would know what motherly love feels like. I hear that it's a feeling like no other.

"I truly don't mind."

"I know. But we should have enough. Come on babies."

Kaelynn and I got our hair tied up and out the way, then we got to work. Kaelynn and I were fixing sandwhiches together, when I felt someone staring at me. Sure enough, I looked right up into Omar's face. He motioned for me to come over.

I told Kaelynn I had to use the bathroom then I removed my gloves. He and I went into one of the back rooms.

If looks could kill, I would be six feet under right now. I'm having a hard time understanding why he is so upset though.