Chapter 11

{Jahmir}

Faye fell asleep a few hours ago. Instead of continuing to watch the movie, I turned the tv off. Silence filled the room at once. Well, except for Faye's light snoring, which I found adorable.

We were on opposite sides of the bed, but I moved closer to her. My hand found it's way to hers. Our fingers were interlocked for a moment, but I soon wrapped my arms around her. I felt the need to be as close to her as possible. We have been growing apart and it's killing me. I hate it. I can't help but feel like it's my fault though. Seems as though I'm the reason to blame for a lot of things.

This is the Faye that I like. The one that I can get close to. The one who laughs at my stupid jokes. The one who helps me roast people in stupid movies that don't make any sense. The one who would stay up all night with me. The one who smiles at me. The one who looks at me with her pretty eyes. The one that I met.

*
*
*
*

●Flashback●

Jahmir sat on the floor observing everyone. It was right after his father's funeral, and everyone met up at their home.

"What are you doing over here by yourself little man?" John, his grandfather asked.

All day, people were trying to keep him close to their side. They wanted to make sure someone caught his tears if he cried.

In reality, he was all cried out. At least for the time being he was. He got all of his crying out of his system. He discovered that no matter how much he cried and begged for his daddy to come back, he wouldn't. He would never get to watch or play football with him again. He would never get to go fishing with him again. He would never get to fall asleep against his chest again. He would never have to stay up all night and wait for him to show up again. The last time he did that, he was greeted by three firemen instead of his dad.

"What do you have there?"

Jahmir held his sketchbook close to his heart as John reached for it. He didn't want anyone to see all of his pictures. No matter how hard he tried, he felt like it was impossible to draw again. The last picture he drew was his dad in his uniform.

"Hey there baby." Helen, his grandmother joined them.

"Hey boo." John said as he attempted to kiss her

She put her hand up to block him. "John, you know I'm talking to my little baby." She held her arms out to Jahmir. "Come here honey. John and I have to tell you something."

Jahmir stared at the both of them. He'd only seen them a few times before. They lived in Atlanta while Jahmir lived in Vegas. Each time he seen them, though, they were always really nice to him. Way more nice than his mother's parents. He would act out every time they tried to come get him. All they would do is hurt him physically. He didn't know why, but he was hoping these grandparents didn't find a reason to also.

Hesitantly, he stood up. His grandma scooped him up into her arms and carried him up the stairs and to his room.

When they got in there, he could see that three suitcases were on his bed.

"Did your mom tell you what was going on?" John asked as Helen put Jahmir on the bed.

"No. Mom won't talk to me."