Chapter 28

Even though my mom kept questioning me about my appointment, the first person I want to tell is Jahmir. He is the one who urged me to go to the doctor. I feel like he would genuinely want to know what's going on with me.

After getting my meds, I came home. Him and that girl were sitting on his car. My heart and mind told me to storm into my house and slam the door, but I can't do that. As I went over to them, the girl stood up.

"Hi, I'm Janine. Nice to meet you." She smiled.

Jahmir seemed surprised that she introduced herself like that. I really want to be rude to her right now, but I don't have a valid reason to be. This is why I'm starting my nedicine first thing in the morning. I would only be lying to myself if I said my mental health wasn't fucked up.

"I'm Kaelynn." I tried to muster up a smile, but I know it didn't show on my face. "I had something to tell Jahmir, but I'll just come back later."

I was about to leave but Jahmir reached out and grabbed my hand.

"Kaelynn..."

"No you don't have to." Janine cut Jahmir off. "I was about to leave soon anyhow. I have a few errands to run. And tons of homework. I'll go."

"Thank you."

This time I really did smile as she said bye to Jahmir. We didn't really talk that long, but she seems okay. Most girls would have ignored me and kept right on talking like they didn't see me.

Jahmir was looking at me like I had two heads or something. Not to mention he was still holding my hand. I lightly pulled my hand away from his.

"What Jay?"

"You? Kaelynn Faye Smith? I'm impressed." He chuckled.

I can see what he means by that. I'm not exactly friendly. I have a lot of work to do.

"What was she talking about?" I'm not even sure why I asked him that. That's none of my business really. But at least I didn't ask with a rude tone. Hopefully he can tell that im actually just trying to figure it out.

"We are trying to figure out what's going on with our grandparents."

He looked down the street and my eyes followed. There we see Mr. John and some lady carrying bags and laughing with each other.

"Who is she?"

Jahmir's eyes dropped to his feet as he rubbed his arm.

"She been in the neighborhood for a month or so now. It was an immediate attraction or something. I don't understand it." He sighed. "Anyway, is there a particular reason you came over?"

I can tell that must be a touchy subject for him. Nobody knows exactly what his grandmother meant to him. It must hurt seeing his grandpa get close to another woman like that. He's going to have to just get over it though. It's not about what he wants. I should know. I don't want my mom and dad doing whatever they have going on, but it's not my choice. They have to live their lives the way they want to. If it's a mistake, hopefully they'll learn before it's too late.

"Can we talk for a minute?"

"Sure. Come on."

He locked his car door then we went to the patio. He tossed his bag on the sofa before sitting down. I sat across from him then deeply sighed. I'm sure he was waiting for me to speak, but I didn't know how to start.

"Is it that bad?" He questioned as he gazed up at the sky. "I'm sure whatever it is can be worked out somehow."

"I have hypothyroidism."

His gaze came to me, and I swear he looked so disappointed. I'm not all that sure why though. Maybe he was thinking something else was wrong. Maybe he was hoping it was something else. I don't know. It's getting harder to figure him out. That's my fault though, and I own up to it.

"Basically that's and underactive thyroid gland. Because of that my hormones aren't balanced how they should be."

"And that throws everything off pretty much. Hince why you have unexplained weight gain and depression. It can last a few years or the rest of your life. Why didn't I think about this before?"

I was surprised that he knew that much about it.

"My grandma had it."

I really hate to ask him questions, but I really want to know. He can easily say he doesn't want to talk about it.

"Is that what she passed away from?"

"No. She had to have her medicine changed every few years, because it stopped working, but she was able to manage it well. She died from breast cancer."

"I'm sorry."

He didn't respond. We both sat there, in thought. As I look at him, all I see is sorrow in his face. He seems to be getting back to a depressed state. I'm not sure what I can do to help him. I used to know how to be a much better friend. Now, not so much.

"Are you okay Jahmir?"

He leaned his head back again.

"I'm fine. I'm more concerned about you."

I feel like that's a lie, but I won't pry. I have to build back the trust in our friendship again. If we were closer, he wouldn't have a problem telling me what's wrong.

"I'm ready to start being active."

"Hmm, haven't I heard this before."

I got up and sat beside him, gaining his attention again. For the first time in a while, I made eye contact.

"I am serious. Now I know what's going on. Now I have the chance to take control of it. I've already started trying to eat healthier. I'm trying. But I do understand it's my fault that you don't believe me. I am extremely sorry for putting you through so many mood swings and rants. It's not fair to you to have to deal with my negativity. I want to change to better myself, but I also want to change for you."

He wiped my tears away then hugged me without saying a word.

This journey won't be easy, but I know it will be worth it in the end.