Chapter 12

Bzzz... Bzzz
Bzzz... Bzzz

The weekend went by in the blink of a damn eye. It's crazy how quick the whole summer went by actually.

Here's the first day of senior year already. Potentially my very last day of school. Unless I choose to go to college for whatever reason. I still have no idea what I want to do with my life.

"Rise and shiiine!"

Pops busted into my room with a pot and wooden spoon in his hand.

I sat up and rubbed the sleep out my eyes. Feels like I barely got any sleep.

"Umm, what's that for?" I questioned before yawning.

"I just had to make sure you were going to wake up. Boy the world could be ending outside and you'd probably die in your sleep. A burglar could come in your room, steal all your stuff, then take some selfies with flash on with you before he leaves. Your phone could go off several times before you turn over and keep sleeping before you didn't hear it. Your..."

He kept on naming scenarios while I got up. I went to my closet in search of what to wear. Now, typically everyone likes to go all out on the first day of school. They like to wear the most expensive outfit they got. A simple ass t shirt and jeans will do just fine for me though. I put them on my bed then I went to my dresser to get my underclothes, deodorant, and cologne.

"...and I'm pretty sure you could sleep through this pot and spoon too. I was damn sure gonna try though." He smiled when he seen me go into my bathroom. "I'm glad to see you're already up though. Let me go get ready for work."

I shut my bathroom door then started my morning routine. My morning routine consisted of me showering, washing my face, brushing my teeth, and getting dressed. Should be what everyone does, but... I doubt it.

"What shoes should I put on?"

I sat on my floor, in front of my lined up shoes, and I put on my black socks. I put on my black and white Adidas. I checked my phone to see if Faye texted me back yet. She did, but there were two more messages that caught my eye first.

Victoria:

Hey jaybaby 😘😙😘 I hope you have been doing okay. Mom and I are headed to Atlanta for a little work. I'm hoping that we can meet up and spend time together like we used to. I'm excited to see you.

Valorie:

Son! Vickie and I are coming to Atlanta for a photo shoot. I'm making it mandatory that you participate in it also. You have to start using your potential. It is this Saturday at noon. We will be by to pick you up.

For a while, I couldn't put my finger on why she wanted me to be a model so bad.  It hit me though. She wants to be so involved in it because she wants to make money off of me. She has money already, but of course she wants more. Who wouldn't?

Sadly, she got me up fucked up. I'm nobody's puppet. This would be a perfect way for us to spend a day together. Haven't done that in well over ten years though. I've adjusted to living without her, and sadly it wasn't that hard to do. She made it easy.

I took a moment to respond to Victoria then Valorie.

Me: (to Victoria)

Idk sis I'll probably be busy with school. Just starting senior year. I have to focus so I can graduate on time.

Me: (to Valorie)

John Phillips is the only person who can dictate what I do. And that's technically only until I turn 18 at the end of the year. He has legal custody over me. Not you. Thankfully, you never wanted me. Do pretend you want to see me do good now. You didn't care when you were hitting me and yelling at me. You didn't care when I had to tend to my own bloody lip and nose all by myself. You never cared about me, so don't think I'll be your cash cow now. Do me a favor and forget I ever existed. Up until this year you hadn't had a problem with that.

I wasn't going to text all that at first, but my fingers kept going and going. I'll be avoiding them both this weekend. I don't have time for either one of them. It would be cool to hang out with Victoria, but I already know Valorie would get involved.

"JAHMIR DID YOU GO BACK TO SLEEP?!"

I got up and went downstairs to the kitchen. There I see pops standing in front of the stove.

"I made breakfast." He snickered as he moved out the way, revealing a Dunkin Donuts box. "Okay, I didn't actually make it. I bought some last night before I came home."

I'm done trying to get him to eat better. I've tried, but all he does is ignore me. I care about his health, but apparently he doesn't.

"I'll pick something up before school." I lied. I usually don't ever eat breakfast.

"What's wrong, health nut?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Nothing at all. Have a good day pops."

"You too son. Be good. Please be good."

He hugged me before I went outside. I had the choice between my Impala or my Camero, but I chose my Impala. It's older and less flashy. Some people try to out scratches on your car just because it's nice. Eventually I should take the Camero somewhere though. I've yet to drive it anywhere.

Faye and Kayla aren't ready yet, but I'll just sit in the car and wait for them. That gives me time to just think.

In my stomach there's an uneasy feeling. I've been feeling this way for a while, and I wish I knew why.