Chapter 30

For most of the ride, I pretended to be busy on my phone. As soon as he got on the interstate, I knew it would be a long ride. We've been strictly focusing on school for the most part, so it's been a while since we left the city we live in. Some people consider where we live as a part of Atlanta, some don't. Either way, it feels good to get out for a while.

I knew where we were headed when I seen a certain sign on the side of the road. Indian Springs!

Indian Springs is one of two state parks we have in Georgia

Indian Springs is one of two state parks we have in Georgia. Or at least I think it's only two. It's in Jackson, Georgia. We haven't been here in at least three or four years! I suggested that we come here this past summer, but someone was way too busy to come. That's besides the point though. We're here now.

"We're walking here?" I questioned as he pulled up to the toll thing. He paid the five dollars then he got the card thingy. The thing has the days of the week on it. He pushed in the Saturday tab then hung it up on his rearview mirror. I'm not sure why that's so important though. There are hardly any workers here to check and see if people punch in the correct day.

"Yes. But, why is that so surprising to you?"

He parked in the first set of parking spots we saw. From what I see so far, it doesn't look like many people here. That's unusual from what I can remember. A few summers ago, Jahmir and I got to come here almost every weekend. It was either here or High Falls. Even though Mikayla always tried to play with us, we always found a way to stray away from her and whoever our guardian was. We got in so much trouble when we did it the first time. From then on they always knew where to find us though. We would go to our 'secret' hiding spot.

They made the summer fun just by letting us be kids. We were the type of kids who liked to play outside a lot. We needed bathroom and food breaks. Other than that, we'd be outside until the sub eas about to set.

This generation doesn't know much about that. Nowadays it's all about technology. We live in a world where babies learn how to play games on devices before they learn how to walk. Or crawl for that matter. It's pretty sad.

"Kae?"

Oh, guess I got lost in thought. I see that he still won't call me Faye again though. I hate that.

"I just kind of thought we would go to a track somewhere." I shrugged. "I can only think of one."

"You know me well." He chuckled. "I was actually going to go to the airport road track in Griffin, but I changed my mind and came here instead."

We got out and he came over to my side of the car.

"Now usually when I exercise, I listen to music. It takes my mind off of actually having to work out or walk."

This is a huge and beautiful park.

The ResistanceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara