Chapter 55

{Kaelynn}

For what felt like the thousandth time, I placed back and forth in my room. This has to be the absolute worst thing that could happen right now.

I heard a knock on my door, but I barely had a chance to react before it came open. I'm so glad my dad came up instead of my mom. It feels kind of weird to call him my dad, but we have gotten much closer than we were. I'm trying not to be so hard on him anymore. His relationships don't concern me in any way, so it's not right for me to hold them over his head. I can tell he still doesn't know what to do. He doesn't know if he wants his wife back, or of he wants to get back with mom.

"Kaelynn I thought we were good?"

I'm sure he asked that because of how I completely ignored him and mom when I came in. I dashed up the stairs quickly.

"We are dad." I gave him a brief hug before going to sit on my bed. "I was just trying to hurry and put my phone on the charger before it died."

"Are you okay Kaelynn?"

He doesn't understand the type of week I've had. Since we are on winter break at school, I've been at the salon more. A lot of women like to get their hair done for the holidays, so we have been extra busy. Since last weekend, I've been throwing up every single morning. Since the shop has been so busy, it was easy to hide it from them.

It wasn't easy at all to hide my sickness from Kelly this morning though. I tried to just ignore the strong smells of the food, but  it began to be too much for me. I don't know why the smells bothered me so much, but Kelly followed me right to the bathroom and held my hair while I threw up. I came up with a random excuse, then I got out of there as quick as I could.

"Oh my God. I know what it is." My heart almost skipped a beat when my dad said that. "You and Jahmir are having problems?"

Yeah, and now we may potentially have an even bigger one. I truly feel like I may be pregnant. It's been over three weeks since I've slept with both my boyfriend and his cousin. I've done some fucked up things in my life, but this is the absolute worst. And not only that, but I know this isn't a mistake that can just be brushed off. Betrayal like this isn't easy to bounce back from.

I want to ask my dad about this situation, but I don't want to insinuate anything that he may pick up on.

"He didn't cheat on you, did he?"

I could see my dad getting mad, but I had to come to Jahmir's defense quickly.

"No way dad. He would never do that to me." In my heart, I know he really wouldn't. He loves me too much, and I just took it for granted. I'm the dumbest girl alive.

"I just... have you ever did all you can do to get with someone, just to realize you two were better as friends?"

He sat beside me then placed his arm around my shoulders. "That's how I felt about your mother at some point, but I fell in love."

"So do you think it's possible to only be friends with someone when they're in love with you?"

Me saying that seemed to make something click in his mind. Maybe I should have worded it better.

"It's okay that you aren't in love with Jahmir just yet. I remember my mother used to always say that, in order for any relationship to be successful, the man must love the woman more than the woman loves the man."