Chapter 26

{Jahmir}

Kaelynn really surprised me today. She tried her best to be more of a positive person today. That must have been really difficult, but I'm sure it got easier when she seen her pictures.

The smile on her face. The sincerity in her voice. Not only that, she told me she loves me! That was the first time she ever told me that. My heart fluttered a bit. If only she knew exactly how much I love her.

I'm hoping she continues trying to progress. To be quite honest, I'm worried about her. I just want her to be able to call herself beautiful every single day. A life with no self love is a terrible life.

I sat across from the backdrop, strolling through the pictures on the camera. Honestly I could get used to this. I love photography. Leo kind of just left me though. He suddenly had a random emergency that he had to get to. I think it's ironic. I shadowed him through exactly half of the shoots, then that happened. Something tells me it was set up that way.

"So here's your last model of the day."

I kept strolling for a moment. "Okay." I stood up, still looking through the pictures.

"You haven't seen me in over ten years, and you're not rushing over to hug me? That's messed up Jaykinz."

There was only one person who would call me Jaykinz.

"Victoria?!"

So this is the shoot that they were talking about? Damnit. I wish I would have known. I wouldn't have damn came here.

"If you're right here, then..."

Almost right on cue, I looked to my right to see Valorie coming towards me. She had a big smile on her face as she attempted to hug me. Me on the other hand, I pushed her arms away from me.

"Son! I expected you to react much better than this. Cleo and John agreed that this would be a good idea."

Lately I'm questioning how well I thought I knew pops. He just keeps on doing questionable shit. I've told him over and over how much I despise Valorie. Why on Earth would he think that I would want her here?! It's almost as if he is doing things to get to me on purpose. I'm not too sure what his deal is.

I put the camera down then I jogged over to Cleo. She was standing with a few of the models.

"Really?"

She glanced at me then towards the backdrop. A slight smile came on her face.

"Oh. Umm. Excuse me ladies."

She grabbed my arm and led me away from everyone. Of course Valorie had to come over though.

"Granpie J thought it would be a good idea for you to do this. He wanted you to get more into your hobby, and he wanted you to talk to your mother."

"Jahmir it wouldn't kill you to hear me out. You don't even know my reasoning for giving you to your grandparents."

There is no lie that she could tell me to justify giving away her middle child. Now I could see if she gave us all away. Then she could use the financially unstable excuse. She can't even use the excuse that she was too young. She gave birth to Victoria two weeks before her sixteenth birthday.

"Because I don't wanna hear the damn shit! Cleo I don't know why you would do this to me. Do the rest of this by your damn self."

I was hoping to get away from Valorie, but of course she followed me. She moved in my way and refused to let me get in my car once we made it outside.

"I DID WHAT I DID FOR US!"

She got rid of one child for all four of us. Oh, that makes all the sense in the world.

"They're rich, Jahmir."

"You still don't make sense."

She looked around a few times before looking back at me. "When Helen and John got you, I knew Helen was sick already. Had no idea she was going to last as long as she did. Then when she did, I was assuming the old man would have died from a broken heart. I was hoping that they would have put you in their will."

It's hard to believe the dumb shit that comes out of some people's mouths. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Money isn't everything! She came up with a stupid ass plan that probably wouldn't have worked.

"Oh how convenient. You did that right after dad died." I frowned.

"It's not too late for the plan Jahmir. There's ways around everything. John isn't getting any older and I'm sure he has a big insurance plan."

I can't believe she would say some shit like that to me. I don't always understand pops. Sometimes his actions are questionable, but there is no doubt in my mind that he loves me. I love him as well. Him and grandma both got me out of a really dark place. A dark place that Valorie put me in. She is already using Victoria as a cash cow, she doesn't need him too.

"You know what?" I lightly chuckled. "I'm not sure why I even... thank you."

She smiled. "For what? My plan? I knew you wou-"

"No. Thank you for giving me away. I don't even know why I still get mad about it. I'm actually really happy that your evil ass let me of all three of your kids go. I'm not about to betray someone who wanted me when nobody else did. Stay away from me and my family."

Her hand swept across my face. "How dare you call me evil!" She hit me a few more times before Victoria ran out and broke us up.

"MOM! What are you doing?"

Instead of wasting more of my time, I left since she finally got away from my car door.

I'm sick of bad shit always happening. Why can't I just be happy for once?