Chapter 22

{Jahmir}

"Pops! I'm h-"

Laughter filled my ears, so I turned in the direction it was coming from. There I see pops and miss Ellen coming towards me. Their arms were linked together, much like how he would do with grandma. Even the smile on his face reminds me of her. Only she had the ability to make him smile from ear to ear.

"John you are a regular ole comedian. But I promise to pay you back when I get the chance."

He chuckled. "Well it comes natural. But don't even worry about it. Instead of paying me back, buy yourself something nice." He looked in my direction, causing his smile to completely fade away.

"Umm." I lightly rubbed the back of my head. My fingers brushed against the hair at the nape of my neck. All of my hair actually stayed in a bun for a change.

"Hello handsome." Miss Ellen spoke. "You're so lucky to have John in your life. He is such a great man."

Grandma used to think so too.

This is ridiculous. I'm not sure why I feel the way I do. He's grown. He can do whatever he wants. He has a right to move on. I'm sure grandma would want him to. I just... I don't know why I feel some type of way about this.

"Excuse me."

Those are the only words I could utter before I turned and went right back out the door. Something just doesn't feel right.

"Jahmir wait!"

Pops pushed my car door closed before I could get in. He looked to be concerned.

"Are you okay Jahmir? You look like someone stole your pet rock and sold it on Amazon."

He always has to say something random. Even when he isn't actually in a joking mood.

"I'm fine. It's just... it seems like you like her more than just a friend." I lightly tugged at one of the hairs in my bun to get it free. I then started looping it around my finger.

"Even if I did, it wouldn't be any of your business. I'm grown Jahmir. I don't have to run anything by you."

Well I expected this from him. That's why I was just going to go. I wasn't going to give my opinion. Or... state an obvious fact.

"Right. I'm gonna go now."

"Are you leaving because you don't want to talk to Ellen? Get to know her son. She's amazing. She is so humble and prideful. She would have rather went without furniture than to ask me for the money for it."

I placed my hands in my pockets and shrugged my shoulders, pretending to ignore that last sentence.

"I just wanna take Ms. Kelly the rest of these clothes. I was supposed to already give them to her, but I'm sure she'll understand. Been busy with school. Which reminds me, I-"

"Okay son. Please be back by seven. I'm making dinner for us, Ellen, and her granddaughter."

He didn't even bother letting me finish what I had to say. I guess his new friend is more important.

"Yeah. Okay."

My mouth said okay, but my mind might be thinking otherwise. Miss Ellen is a nice lady, but I don't know. Her and pops seem to be getting really close really quick. And I feel as though that has a lot to do with his bank account. They literally just met a few days ago and he already has given her money. He's the one who earned it. I don't care how he spends it. He should really think about that though.

Often in life, people will pretend to love you. Only reason they pretend to love you, is because they really do love what you can do for them.

But I mean, I could be wrong about Miss Ellen. I've been wrong about women before. I was wrong about Valorie... Nia... Even Kaelynn.