Chapter 32

{Jahmir}

The first thing I did when I got home was search for pops. The first place I thought to look was the kitchen. What can I say, the man loves food! I'm pretty sure the kitchen would be his favorite room in any home he steps in.

When I didn't find him there, I went back towards the foyer. This time, I chose to check the living room. My heart almost popped out my chest when I saw him laying in front of the sofa motionless. There's no telling how long he has been there.

"POPS!" I sprinted over to him then dropped to my knees, shaking his shoulder. "POPS PLEASE WA-"

His eyes poped open as he removed his headphones from his ears. I didn't even notice them before.

"Boy you almost gave me a damn heart attack! What the hell is going on?" He stood up and out one earbud back in.

"Why were you la-"

"Yeah, I'm both
Yeah, I had a drink, yeah I smoked
Yeah, you think I need you, but I don't
Just left out Dubai with all my folk
Open water, my location is remote!"

I watched him as he proceeded to attempt to dance. Looked like he was about to throw both of his arms out the sockets.

I got up ready to go upstairs. He lightly grabbed my arm though. "My bad son. I'm sober now." He tossed his phone and headphones to the side. "We haven't had a real conversation in a few days. You look upset. What's going on? Did Kaelynn do something again? She is always hurting you son. You'll have to let go one day."

Kaelynn has been a good friend these last few weeks. I don't even know why he would bring her up. I've been wrong before, but I think she has really changed this time. She is doing so much to better herself. She's even going to my cousin's salon on Monday for a job. I'm proud of her. I don't know why his mind automatically went to her.

"I just think that y-"

"John darling!"

Again, I was interrupted. This time, Ellen came downstairs in some expensive looking skirt suit. I bet pops bought that too.

"Well John? What do you think?"

He smiled so big as he put his hand on his chest. I only ever remember him having that kind of smile with grandma. So genuine. So pure. He really does like Ellen. I can tell. But Ellen just isn't good for him. She doesn't have his best interest at heart.

"You look amazing! I knew that was the right one when we went shopping earlier."

He tapped my arm then motioned to Ellen, probably telling me to say hey to her. Even though I'm usually not the one to be rude, I silently walked away. I went into the kitchen to find something to eat. Even though this was supposed to be a cheat day for me, I gathered things to make a salad. I haven't eaten anything all day.

As I sat at the island and started eating, Ellen came in.

"Janine must have slipped away again. She was in here doing some boring school work. That's something you have to look forward to next year when you continue school."

I wonder what she's going to school for. That's one question I've never gotten around to asking her. I wonder how she decided what she wanted to be. If I do go to college, I still haven't thought of what I wanted to do. I do remember my grandma hinting around to business though. Well okay, she wasn't hinting. She was straight up urging me to get a business degree. At the same time though, she wanted me to follow my heart. With anything that I do, I know she would have supported me. I've been thinking of her so much lately. Not only are we approaching a third year without her, but pops has been acting strange without her.