First Day

Ty walked in the nursing home eager to get started. He met with Ms. Betty at the front.

"Alright Ty, here at EveryDay Living we like to base what the volunteers do around what they like to do. If there's anything you do well, maybe drawing, singing, even dancing, the citizens here love that!"

Ty was really excited as they walked around. It was a really nice, clean looking nursing home. Many of the patients looked happy to even be there.

I've never known nursing homes to be this delightful, Ty thought to himself. He was really starting to enjoy it already. Ms. Betty showed him the various areas there were in the nursing home.

"So, what's your talent?" Ms. Betty turned to him once they made their way back to the front.

"Talking," Ty said confidently about his skill.

By the look on Ms. Betty's face, she wasn't too convinced that Ty would be of any good use around Everyday Life.

"But I can always learn new things. I'm a pretty quick learner," Ty added seeing Ms. Betty's concern.

Ms. Betty lightened up again. "Well, alright then! Let's see," Ms. Betty's eyes drifted to the other side of the room, "Oh no!" She hurriedly walked over.

A short older, woman was on top of a table singing, "Whatever Lola Wants." From the sound of her voice, Ty could tell she sang really well once before because she didn't sound that bad now. Ty enjoyed watching her because she was so carefree.

"Mrs. Carlson, come on down from there," Ms. Betty said with a nervous laugh. She reached for the older woman, but the older woman kicked her shoes off now dancing to a much more vibrant song, "It don't mean a thing if It ain't got that swing". The other citizens began clapping along. Some shouting, "Go ahead Sheryl!"

Ty could understand now why his uncle's heart was in this place. These people were amazing!

"Ah, Sheryl's at it again, huh?" Ty heard someone next to him say. Ty looked to his side and saw an older gray haired man about his height.

"I like this song," the man added.

"So, this happens often?" Ty asked.

"A weekly thing," the older man said shrugging, "you must be new here. You a volunteer or...?"

"A volunteer. Just started today," 

"You're gonna like it here! Good peoples," the older man said looking at Mrs. Carlson.

"I'm Benny," the older man said giving his hand to Ty.

"Ty," he shook Benny's hand.

Samiyah seriously couldn't get those chocolate brown eyes out of her head. Ugh, why is this killing me? She thought to herself putting down the book. She'd been trying to read, but her mind kept wandering to Ty. She'd started to feel regret. Maybe she should have said yes yesterday. Maybe he's upset. Maybe she did the right thing.

She did the bold thing and went across the street. She was scared. Not because of seeing him, but seeing the satisfied look on his face when he felt like he won.

She knocked and waited. No one came to the door. She knocked again and waited. Again no one came to the door. She rang the doorbell and waited. Still, no one came to the door.

She was about to leave, then she heard footsteps from inside. Her heart raced from adrenaline. She took a deep breath. The door was opened.

"Hey, I-" Samiyah stopped talking. "Oh, hi Mrs. Robinson!" Samiyah said shocked. Two days in a row he wasn't at home. What was he doing?

"Hello, Samiyah," Mrs. Robinson said a little surprised herself to see her. She didn't really stop by unless to give magazines. "I was just -"

"Looking for Ty?" Mrs. Robinson smirked. 

Samiyah didn't want to admit that. "Yeah, actually," she said with much embarrassment.

"He's at the nursing home." Samiyah looked at Mrs. Robinson confused.

"The nursing home? Everyday Living?" Samiyah asked. Mrs. Robinson nodded, proudly it seemed.

"Oh, well can you tell him I stopped by, then?" Samiyah asked.

"Of course. I'm sure he'd love to hear that."

Samiyah walked away wondering what could Ty be doing at a nursing home. Was there someone there? Mr. Robinson had passed. Well, she guessed it shouldn't matter to her. Nothing he does bothers me, although she did just ask Mrs. Robinson to tell him she stopped by.