Meet the Residents

Samiyah had opened up enough to Ty to talk to him every day. He would never text her, though he called. Samiyah actually thought that talking on the phone with him was even better.

But they talked on their porches even more than talking on the phone. He would ask her about her day, which she loved even if she didn't want to mention it. What was odd was that he seemed to want to know about her day.

And he did. Ty loved being at Everyday Living, but he could not wait to see Samiyah at the end of the day. They talked mostly about culture and things they liked. They'd break down movies and books. They would sometimes argue about life, but Samiyah would shut those conversations down quickly. They'd talk till the sunset was over.

It was the 7th sunset together that he requested something from her.

"I'm going to bring you to Everyday Living with me," Ty said after the sunset.

Okay, maybe not a request.

"No! Nursing homes are too depressing. All of those people who used to be just like us. Young and energetic. Free..."

"What makes you think they're not the same now? Come on Samiyah, come with me one time. I bet you'll love it."

Samiyah made the same mistake she always makes by looking into his eyes. He had the most sincerest, persuasive look in them. Samiyah looked away and sighed. She couldn't say no to them.

"Fine, but if I don't like it, you have to watch The Simpsons with me!" she gave an evil smirk.

"Oh my gosh! Why the Simpsons?"

Samiyah had learned that Ty was freaked out by the Simpsons.

"Yellow people?" he had said.

"Don't discriminate," Samiyah warned him.

"Ugh, whatever. I won't be watching it because I know you'll love Everyday Living."

"You're so sure about everything. Haven't you ever been wrong?" Samiyah said laughing.

"Plenty of times," Ty said shrugging.

"So hasn't your confidence level gone down a little bit?"

"Why should it? If I don't believe, what is there to look forward to?" Ty said.

He was like a child, truly believing everything can work out. Not even can, but WILL work out. Samiyah shook her head at how naive he was.

* * *

"I seriously have to go?" Samiyah asked Ty with a look on her face that said, "I wanna stay at home and watch a F.R.I.E.N.D.S marathon."

"Yes, you do. Please?"

"Okay, fine."

Ty knew she would love it. How can anyone not love these people?

Ty opened the door for her letting her in the building. Ms. Betty looked up surprised to see another young one.

"Hi, Ty! How are you this morning?"

"I'm great Ms.Betty! This is my friend Samiyah. I was hoping it was alright to show her around. Maybe get her to volunteer as well."

Ms. Betty looked at Samiyah and then looked at Ty. She smirked.

"Of course, Ty!" She looked at Samiyah again. It was like she was examining her.