The Most Beautiful Thing

"So, did you tell your parents that you weren't coming back?" Samiyah asked Ty while resting her head on his lap. They were on her porch swing.

"I did. My mother was kind of happy. I mean at first, she was sad, then I told her about you," he told her. He saw her cheek rise with a smile. 

"Your father?"

"He was sad, but he understood."

Ty remembered how his mom bombarded him with questions about Samiyah and what she looked like. He had to send her pictures and everything. Mrs. Nelson told him she already liked her and she couldn't wait to meet her.

"Wait, she wants to meet me?" Samiyah asked with shock in her voice sitting up when Ty told her.

"Yeah, I don't blame her. I do have a way of making you sound really cool," he gave her a teasing smile.

Samiyah was kind of excited. She never actually thought of meeting Ty's parents. Ty met her mother but didn't get to meet her father who was always out on business. Yes, actual business. Samiyah knew her father would never ever cheat on her mother.

Her father would be back soon and she wanted to get his meeting Ty out of the way. She turned to Ty.

"My father is coming back soon," she mentioned. He just stared at her. She looked at him expecting him to say something.

"Ty, I want you to meet my father."

"When?" he asked.

"He's coming back Friday."

Ty sighed and rubbed his temples. He'd seen that gigantic beast of a man in the pictures on the walls of her house. He was much taller than Samiyah, Jelena, and Mrs. Pearson. Samiyah was 5'4 and he had to be 6'4. He wasn't too much taller than Ty, but that was beside the point. It was his muscles. He looked like he had a hard time finding shirts that wouldn't rip open from his muscles. This man was King Kong.

"Okay, so I have time to prepare."

"Oh, my gosh, Ty! My dad is not gonna hurt you. He's really nice."

"He's really nice," Ty said mocking her. "You sound like those people with the pit bulls that say, 'he don't bite.'"

"Ty that's not the same thing. Relax."

"You obviously haven't seen your dad in a while."

"And you've never met him."

Samiyah honestly wanted to laugh. She never imagined Ty being afraid of anything. He was the type to face anything coming his way. It was surprising.

Samiyah turned to the window of her house and saw her reflection. She cringed surprised by her own face. She knew if she was gonna meet his parents she had to get that together.

Ty noticed her reaction. "What were you thinking about?" he asked concerned.

"Nothing," she shook her head almost immediately. He knew it was something and he knew what that something probably was.

"Were you looking at yourself?"

She opened her mouth to speak but couldn't find a way to sugarcoat the truth.

"Please, tell me you weren't flinching at yourself," Ty said with his hands in prayer style in front of his mouth. He was seriously getting upset.

"I just look-"

"Stop. I do not want to hear you say anything bad about yourself. I will go crazy. You are too beautiful to even comprehend."

Samiyah's mouth dropped open. She didn't know whether she should be upset with him not letting her just feel the way she feels or be swooning because of his sweet words. It came out harsh, though. 

"I don't feel like being corny with you because we're past that, but you're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen; not just of humans, but of everything I've ever seen, you're the most beautiful."

And that was the first time Samiyah ever heard anything like that. People may not realize, some people have never been told things like that.

"Ty-"

"If you're going to tell me otherwise-"

She kissed him. One of those "I am so happy you're mine" kisses. The kind that feels like it lasted an eternity.

"Thank you," she said near tears.

He pulled her very close to him; so close their noses were touching.

"You can never tell me anything different," he whispered on her lips.