Gasp

Ty was freaking out looking for something to wear to Samiyah's house the next day to meet her father. Nothing seemed good enough. It wasn't like he would stop seeing Samiyah if her father didn't like him. Nothing could stop Ty from seeing Samiyah but God himself. Ty looked at his closet shaking his head.

"What you doing?" Aunt Sandra asked leaning against his doorway. "You been in here all day. I'd expect you to be at Everyday Living or with Samiyah."

"I have to prepare my outfit for tomorrow. I'm meeting Samiyah's dad."

"Oh, Tommy Pearson. He's really nice. You don't have much to worry about," she said trying to encourage him. Ty gave her a look that said that what she just said was most likely untrue and irrelevant.

"I'm serious. Let me help you pick out an outfit then." She walked over to him and the closet.

"Aunt Sandra, I'm helpless with the clothes I have. I need new clothes."

Aunt Sandra started searching through his closet. She gave approving nods as she went along.

"You have a really nice style, Ty. Better than some other boys your age that's for sure." She pulled out some pieces and laid them on the bed.

"How about this?" It was a button down and black jeans.

"And you could tuck the shirt in."

"Yeah, but I'd need a belt to go with it."

"Then go buy a belt. It's simple. Don't make it complicated just because you're scared."

Ty sighed and decided to stop trying to distract himself with clothes. He was going to meet her father and that was that. If Samiyah wanted it, he would do it. Besides, it would be awkward at the wedding if they hadn't already met.

*        *        *

Samiyah wiped down the counter after making her dad's favorite m&m cookies. It was basically routine for her to make them when he came back from trips.

"That smells so good. Can I have one?" Mrs. Pearson asked her while reaching for a cookie.

"Now, momma, you know daddy would be so mad at you if you had the first taste."

"We don't have to tell him," she smiled mischievously. Samiyah stood firm and shook her head.

"Ugh, such a daddy's girl."

Samiyah smiled when her mom said that, but it also made her think. It wasn't that she was opposed to her mother or didn't want to be around her, she just didn't connect with her as well as she did with her father.

"Momma, what was I like as a baby?" she asked Mrs. Pearson curious as to what she would say. Mrs. Pearson would be honest.

"A daddy's girl just like you are now," Mrs. Pearson rolled her eyes while eyeing the cookies.

"Does that bother you?" Samiyah asked her before she could stop herself from asking. Mrs. Pearson's eyebrow raised as if she never noticed she might have some sort of jealousy. She looked up at Samiyah. 

"No, I think it's beautiful. Your father is a good man which is why you were able to pick out a good man like Ty."

Samiyah knew her mother liked Ty. Her mother asked more questions about Ty than she did about her.

"But I mean, do you think we're close?" she asked pointing back in forward between the two of them. She knew they weren't close so why would she ask?

"You know we aren't. Not as close as you and your father."

"But why? We don't argue. I mean it's not like we have a ton of issues or anything. Why can't we be closer?"

Mrs. Pearson looked like she never thought of that herself. "I don't know why. I don't see why we can't, I guess I just don't know where to start."

"Well, maybe we should go out to lunch and have a chat." Samiyah shrugged. A smile came across Mrs. Pearson's face.

"Alright then," she grabbed her keys, "let's do that."

"I'm gonna change my shirt," Samiyah said and walked toward her room.

"Hey, isn't Ty coming here to meet your father?" Mrs. Pearson asked.

"Yeah, he's really nervous too."

Speaking of Ty, she took out her phone and texted him.

Don't be too nervous about tomorrow, baby. I'll be there.

*       *        *

Ty was driving when he heard his phone ding. He looked at the message from Samiyah and smiled.

Don't be too nervous about tomorrow, baby. I'll be there.

He reached for his phone.

*        *        *

"We can go to Panera Bread. I like Panera Bread," Mrs. Pearson said stopping at the stop sign.

"Yeah, we can do that." Samiyah was looking down at her phone.

"Oh my goodness," Samiyah heard Mrs. Pearson say as the car stopped. She looked up at what she was looking at.

"That's Mrs. Robinson's car!"