Girl Business

Naomi was quieter the next day. Ty knew it was because of the conversation they had the day before. He did not like that uncomfortable feeling in the room.

Samiyah looked between the both of them as they sat and ate their breakfast. She didn't say anything and just ate her own breakfast, but she planned on asking him about their silence later.

"So, what do you guys wanna do today?" Samiyah asked feeling like the leader of the group. The both of them just shrugged. Samiyah rolled her eyes and opened her mouth to ask, but she stopped herself and told herself to hold off.

"How about we go bowling! Then afterward, we can see a movie," she suggested trying to sound excited to wake them up.

Ty knew Samiyah was probably questioning their silence. "Yeah, we should do that!" he said excited himself.

The only problem is, his sudden excitement made Samiyah more suspicious. She'd get answers later.

They headed to the bowling alley around noon. Samiyah noticed that Naomi was still quiet. It was just too weird. Just the day before, she was talking nonstop, now she was just like a quiet cat. Samiyah didn't feel any bad vibes coming her way, though.

When Naomi went up for her turn to bowl, Samiyah decided it was time to question Ty.

"What happened?" she crossed her arms with an eyebrow raised. Ty shook his head.

"She asked if you had to come with us this time," he said not meeting her eyes.

Samiyah looked over at Naomi still bowling. Her eyes looked like they had a fire in them.

"To do what exactly?"

"I don't know. She just asked if you had to come again."

Samiyah didn't know if she should talk to Naomi about it or just leave it alone. She was there anyway so obviously Ty had said something.

"And you said no?" she asked hoping he would say yes.

"Of course! I told her she was my friend, but you were my girlfriend. I wasn't gonna do that." Good boy, Samiyah said in her head.

When Naomi sat down and Ty went up to bowl, Samiyah quickly debated to herself whether or not she would say something.

Maybe you should understand her side. No, you need to put her in her place. But do it gently. If you're too nice she'll try to get her way out of it.

"Naomi, what's wrong?" Samiyah asked. Naomi looked at her like she was surprised Samiyah was even talking to her.

"Nothing," Naomi said with an obvious fake smile. Samiyah inwardly growled.

They ate at a nearby Chinese restaurant. For the first time that night, Naomi spoke her opinion by suggesting they eat Chinese food because it's so delicious. Ty was hoping she would start talking again. Unfortunately, his wish was not granted. She went back to being really quiet. He looked at Samiyah who kept glancing at Naomi suspiciously.

Samiyah had, had enough. "Naomi, will you come with me to the restroom?" Naomi looked up at Samiyah confused. She was probably scared Samiyah was going to beat her up for what she asked Ty yesterday.

"Naomi, Ty told me what you asked," Samiyah said it calmly not trying to scare Naomi.

"I'm sorry, Samiyah. I shouldn't have asked that." Samiyah wasn't sure if she meant that or not. When they met she said she hoped they could be friends then she went and said she didn't want her around.

"Then, why did you?"

Naomi didn't say anything for a minute. Samiyah waited for her to speak up. She was hoping that the answer was good.

"It's just... you're so perfect. I feel so intimidated by you!" Naomi said with a pouty face. Samiyah froze. This was the exact thing she thought about her. She wasn't going to lie, she did feel a little better that Naomi felt the same way.

"I'm intimidating... to you?" she asked. Naomi nodded. "Are you serious?"

"Yes, you're so pretty. And you're the kind of girl that Ty likes. You're nice and you're sure of yourself. And you have that mysterious and weird vibe."

"Okay now!" Samiyah said ready to pop her.

"I'm just saying. You're different. Me, I'm not. I wish I could be more like you."

"And that's the problem! You're so busy trying to be like someone else that you're not putting your focus on being you. Who cares what others think of you?" Samiyah tried reassuring her. She would have never thought that Naomi was self-conscious.

"But I'm too different," she said shyly.

"It probably isn't that bad Naomi. What's up? I've read weirder."

"I like cosplay. I have several different outfits of different characters," she said. "And I love doing the makeup for my characters. I did Harley Quinn, Misty from Pokemon, Princess Tiana, and many others." She sounded so passionate. Samiyah thought it was just adorable.

"Then what do you do?" Samiyah asked expectantly.

"I post it on my cosplay Instagram. Don't tell anyone! Not even Ty, please!" she begged.

Samiyah was about to laugh, but she stopped herself. "They have events for that kind of thing don't they?" Samiyah asked.

"Yeah, but I don't have the time with my studies and all, and soon I'm going to medical school-"

"Naomi, why are you going to medical school? Every time I hear you say medical school it's almost like you want to throw up. Girl, you love makeup and fashion. I see it every time you talk about it. You cannot live your life in a way others think is perfect."

"Samiyah, it's not that simple," she said sounding defeated. "Why not?"

"I'm not like you."

"Good! Be like you Naomi." Samiyah hoped her words were seeping through. "Show me some of your work."

"Really?" Naomi asked.

"Yes, come on!" Samiyah was actually curious as to what Naomi would look like. Naomi pulled out her phone.

"Scroll left." Samiyah first saw a picture of Naomi as the Black Widow, then Wonder Woman, Misty, Harley Quinn, Princess Tiana, Mulan, Princess Jasmine, Pocahontas, Cat Woman, and many more. And, they were really good. Samiyah was actually in awe.

"Whoa. Naomi, this is too good. You could make so much off of this. You could do children's parties or even go to those comic book things," Samiyah was telling her eagerly. Then she started squealing.

"You can do YouTube tutorials on how to design these costumes and hair and makeup!" Samiyah was super excited and even decided she would watch them herself. It was kind of intriguing on how to design a character's look.

Naomi was looking down upset. "I don't know. It's so weird isn't it?"

"No, not really. People like weird things anyway. Come on, Naomi! I know you're passionate about this. Don't be afraid to let yourself shine."

Naomi smiled. "Okay, I guess I can." Samiyah then realized that she had encouraged someone to follow their dreams. She finally understood the importance of another person following their dreams. If they didn't, they'd just be miserable.

Naomi was finally talking again. Ty wondered what Samiyah said or did. They were in the restroom for quite some time. Not only was Naomi talking, she was talking to Samiyah about many different things and they looked like they were having a good time.

When Naomi left that day, it was just Ty and Samiyah. Ty looked at Samiyah with even more love in his eyes.

"Baby, what'd you do?" he asked curiously.

"It's girl business," she said walking past him and into Aunt Sandra's house.

Girl business? Ty asked himself wondering when they became girls.