Chapter 4:

Ch. 4

My alarm clock went off bright and early the next morning. I groaned and slid out of my warm blankets and started into my routine. I got up and took a nice hot shower, since I didn’t take one last night. When I got out, I wrapped my robe around me, and a hair towel around my hair, and looked in the mirror. I hadn’t gotten much sleep last night so I had bags under my eyes, and a bruise forming on my cheek. I sighed and opened the top drawer under my sink. It had a lot of random make up stuff that I hardly ever used, but collected for moments like these.

I pulled out the concealer and covered up the bags and the bruise. Once I was satisfied with how it looked, I took the hair towel out of my hair and brushed through it. I plugged in my straightener while I blow dried my hair so it could heat up. After my hair was dry, or dry enough, I walked into my room and threw on a pair of short jean shorts, and a blue plaid shirt, tucking in the shirt and pulling part of it out so it was loose. I put my brown belt on that had a heart shaped belt buckle.

After I was dressed, I walked back into my bathroom and straightened my hair. I looked at my clock I had in there and saw I still had twenty minutes until I had to leave. Good, I would need that long to straighten my hair. Once my hair was straightened, I walked over to my dresser, grabbed a pair of black and white puma socks, and then slipped on my ankle high cowgirl boots. One look over and I was out of my room. I walked downstairs, grabbed my backpack then reached into the bowl and grabbed my keys. Or, I would have if they were there. I leaned over and saw they were gone. “Mom?” I called.

“In the kitchen, baby.” She answered.

I walked in and she was sitting at the table drinking her coffee, doing some stuff on her computer. She worked at a nursing home, and always seemed to have some sort of work to do. She was always on her computer working, or staying late at work. “Have you seen my keys?”

She looked a little guilty before she answered me. “Oh, yeah…” She hesitated. “Tim and I talked it over and since you didn’t tell us where you were last night, you are grounded. No car, no phone, no friends.”

My blood was boiling at this point. “Are you serious right now? How am I supposed to get to school?”

“Guess you’ll have to find a ride.” She shrugged. I knew she hated this just as much as I did. It wasn’t her idea, it was his.

“How am I supposed to do that without a phone?” I asked, even though I still had my phone. It always stayed under my pillow and I would know if he came in to get it, considering I was a light sleeper.

Mom sighed, “Fine, you can use it today to get a ride, but after that, no more phone.”

I shook my head and walked outside, I called Ally first, “Hey, chick, can I hitch a ride from you?”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I’m already at the school. You broke down?” She asked.

I sighed, “No, I’ll explain later.”

“Sorry, babe. Good luck.” She hung up.

I dialed Jules number next, but got her voicemail. I sighed; I didn’t really have anyone else who could take me to school. I could call David but the problem with that is, I don’t have his number. I shoved my phone in my pocket, not ever giving it up and started walking to school. At least we didn’t live too far from the school, just a couple blocks. I was sure to miss first period, or most of it at least.

If I wasn’t in such good shape from sports, I don’t think I would have actually made that walk. It’s only a few blocks, but it’s a really long walk. I walked into the school just as the bell rang to go to second period. I walked up to my locker and grabbed the books I needed and put my backpack away. “Hey, where were you first period?” David asked from behind me. I jumped when I heard his voice, not expecting him to be there.