Chapter 12:

Ch. 12

“Mom, I’m going out to see a movie!” I said when I skipped into the kitchen. I stopped mid skip when I noticed she wasn’t in there. “Mom?” She was here when I had gotten home from softball this morning and all I’ve done is gone to take a shower, and now she was gone.

“She had to go into work for a few hours.” Tim said behind me, causing me to jump. “Did you ask if you could go to the movies?”

“N-no.” I stuttered. “I didn’t realize I had to, just as long as I told you guys where I was going.” He caught me off guard.

“Who are you going to the movies with?” He asked. “Ally and Julie?”

“Actually, I’m going with my boyfriend.” I had to smile. That was the first time I had called him my boyfriend in my own house. Not even my mom knew we were official yet.

Tim laughed, “That David guy?”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Why do you say it like that?”

“Cause he’s no good for you. He’ll leave you in an instant. Can’t you see it?” Tim walked over to the fridge and grabbed out a bottle of water and leaned against the counter, a smug look all over his face.

I rolled my eyes, “You just hope it doesn’t work out. But you are so wrong. Why would he leave me anyway? He has no reason to! He’s a sweet guy. You know, I don’t even need your approval.” I turned and walked out of the kitchen. I walked over to the door and threw on my high tops that were a mixture between black, blue, white, and orange. I grabbed my keys and ran out to my car and drove to David’s house. I was going to be early, and actually he was supposed to come get me, but since mom wasn’t home, I wasn’t about to stay there.

I parked by his truck and ran up to the door. His mom was the one to answer. “Peyton, honey, I thought David was coming to get you?” She smiled at me.

“He was supposed to but I got bored. I hope it’s okay that I came here without calling…” I bit my lip realizing I just completely showed up without any warning.

Linda smiled at me. “Of course. You’re always welcome here. Come on in. David’s in the shower right now, but you’re more than welcome to make yourself at home.”

“Thanks.” I said and walked inside.

“Mom! Where’s David?” Hunter came around the corner from the kitchen. “I want to show him something!”

“He’s in the shower, honey.” Linda smiled down at her youngest son. “Sorry, but you’ll have to wait until later.”

He pouted and started to walk off. “I’ll come and see.” I said and then added, “I mean, if you want me to, that is.” Hunter looked over his shoulder and smiled at me. He ran over and grabbed my hand, pulling me towards the back yard.

“Stay right here.” He said and let go of my hand. He went over and picked up a bat in one hand and a whiffle ball in the other. He threw the whiffle ball into the air and slammed the bat into it, hitting it as far as the wind would carry. “I’ve been practicing and can finally hit the ball!”

“Good job!” I said and clapped for him. “You want to see if you can hit it with someone pitching it to you?” He nodded viciously and had a huge smile on his face. I walked over and grabbed the whiffle ball then walked back a little bit. “Alright, the main thing is to keep your eye on the ball the whole time. Watch it as it hits the bat, to make sure you get in the best swing possible.” I pitched it to him under handed and gently. He barely missed the ball, but he stuck out his bottom lip. “It’s okay, you were so close. Just a little sooner and you would have hit the ball.”