Chapter 41:

Ch. 41

~Peyton POV~

“David, there’s some woman here to see you and Peyton.” Hunter came rushing into the room.

We looked at each other. “Who?”

“Umm…oh yeah! She said she was your mom, I think?” He said.

A little bubble of hope went through me when he said that, hoping maybe she changed her mind from earlier and saw the light and ditched Tim’s sorry ass. I followed Hunter out of the room and down the stairs, David right on my heels. “Momma?” I asked when I saw her standing awkwardly in the doorway. It looked like she had been crying, but now she just looked furious. “What’s wrong?”

“How dare you accuse Tim of those things? I know you don’t like him, but that gives you no right to make up lies about him and attack him first.” She crossed her arms and her glare turned even harder.

That didn’t matter though. My blood was beginning to boil from anger. “You can’t be serious!” I took up her same position. “Me, attack him first? I think you have it all backwards. He attacked me first, every time, and I was just using self-defense. You don’t know what goes on behind closed doors because you’re never home!”

“Oh please, you’ve hated Tim from the start and now you’re making up lies about him. I only came here on my way to the police station to get you so that you can go and tell them that he is innocent.” She walked closer to me and grabbed my arm, turning me towards the door. “Now come on. Put on your shoes, and get in the car.”

“No!” I yanked my arm from her. “Why won’t you believe your own daughter? Why would I lie to you about something like this? I’m not going. I don’t even know who called the cops and complained about him, but you know what? I’m glad they did.” I had a feeling I knew who did it, but I wasn’t about to throw David’s name into it. He must have called after again after what Tim did to Linda. I mean, now he really could get him for doing something to them.

“No, you’re going with me. They were in the middle of arresting him when I got home. They said that he had tried to drug someone or something along those lines. Tim would never do such a thing.” Mom snapped at me. “Now, come on. I’m your mother, you’re not eighteen yet, and you still have to listen to me. Get your butt out to that car, now.”

“No, mother! I’m not!” I yelled back.

“And that person he so called ‘tried to drug’, as you put it, was my mom.” David stepped in. “So, no, Peyton is telling you the truth. You just have to believe her.”

Mom turned her hard glare on David. “Stay out of this. This has nothing to do with you. And I’m sure there is someone out there who is just trying to set Tim up. Tim is a sweet guy and wouldn’t try to do anything like that. Did you actually see him do it?”

“No.” He shook his head. “But there was a note saying it was him.”

“Exactly, so you have no proof of who actually did the crime. Did your mother see who it was?”

“No.” Linda hollered from the living room. “I was surprised from behind so I never got to see their face.” She sounded saddened by the thought. I would be too, though. I am, actually.

“There you go. No proof what-so-ever.” She looked back at me. “Why do you still not have on your shoes? I said, come on!”

I moved a pace backwards, standing further back than David. “No, mom, I’m not going with you.”

David interrupted me and turned around so he could face me. “Pey, what if you went and just told them the truth?”

I swallowed hard and looked at him. I pleaded to him with my eyes, telling him I wasn’t ready to do that yet. Sure, I had just told my mom, who didn’t believe me, but still. The police were a different story. More people out there would know and I didn’t want them to know. “Listen to your boyfriend, Peyton, he’s finally catching on that it’s the right thing to do.”