Chapter 23:

Ch. 23

~David POV~

“You wanna play with us?” Julie asked, after yet another hour had gone by. Ally and Julie were just starting a game of Monopoly deal. “You look pretty bored over there.”

“Are you crazy!?” Ally slapped the cards onto the table, making Julie jump in her seat just a little. “Don’t talk to the enemy. We’re just going to pretend he’s not here.”

“Ally!” Julie actually snapped loudly at Ally. I’d never heard her talk like that, but it didn’t mean that she didn’t talk like that when it was just them. “Grow up! He’s really not that bad of a guy, you’ve just got to learn to get over things. Stop holding grudges.” She looked over at me with a sympathetic look on her face. “Just ignore her. You want to play?”

I shrugged and pulled out my headphones. “Sure.”

I pulled my seat over to the table that they were getting things set up on and joined them. I pretended not to notice when Ally moved her seat away just a little once I moved forward. Julie, on the other hand, glared at her and huffed while she dealt out the cards.

We ended up playing for about an hour, and let me just say, playing that game for an hour can get boring after a while. I think we ended up playing about six rounds, Ally winning three, Julie two, and one for me.

“Family for Jones?” Dr. Sai came out into the waiting room.

We all jumped up and stared at him, but it was Peyton’s mom who spoke first. “How is she? Is everything okay?”

He smiled, “Everything is fine. They’re taking her into her own room now, and you’ll be able to see her shortly.”

“Oh, thank goodness. Thank you so much, Dr. Sai.” She was on the brink of tears.

He walked over and gave her a hug. “You’re very welcome. One of my nurses will be out to get you and let you know what you can see her.” He started to walk away before stopping and turning around, “Oh, and she’ll be up on the fifth floor for recovery.”

Audry nodded and sat back down. A true genuine smile lighting up her face. Tears rolling down her cheeks, but I knew they were happy tears. Or, at the very least, tears of relief. I walked over and patted her hand. “See. Everything is just fine. She’s going to recuperate and be back up in no time.”

“Thanks David.” She patted my hand with her other hand. “Peyton’s lucky to have someone like you.”

I just left it at that. There was no reason to explain things to her and make things worse for myself. Somewhere behind me, I heard Ally snort, but then I heard a soft breath come out of her, which only meant that Julie had elbowed her, but she didn’t want to make a big scene about it.

This seemed like the worst part about it all. The wait this time seemed to be taking a lot longer. They were waiting for her to actually wake up before they came to get us. “Mrs. Jones?” A nurse walked out from the doors about a half hour later.

Audry stood up. “Yes?”

“You can come see your daughter now if you’d like.” The nurse smiled at her. “All of you can come if you want. But no more than that.”

“Come on!” Ally jumped up and pulled Julie with her. “She’s awake!”

“Wait…” I gently grabbed both of their arms, but dropped Ally’s after the look she gave me. “Maybe you should just let her mom and Tim go in first.” It took everything I had to say Tim’s name, normally. I wanted to grit my teeth and growl the name, or not even say it at all, but I couldn’t unless I wanted to give her secret away. Not going to lie, though, part of me wants to tell someone so that he can’t go in there to see her and pretend to care.

“Who do you think…” Ally started, but Julie just covered her mouth. Ally instantly licked her hand to get it off of her mouth, but stayed quiet for once.

Julie wiped her hand off onto her shorts. “First of all….ew! Secondly, David’s right. Just let Audry go first and see her and then we can go in in a few minutes. Just stay out here a little longer.”

“Fine…” Ally said, throwing her hands into the air.

Audry looked back at us. “Are you guys coming?”

I shook my head. “Not yet. We’re going to let you two go first, and then we’ll come.”

Tim shook his head and stayed glued to his seat. “I don’t do hospitals”

Mhmm…I’m sure you don’t. I narrowed my eyes at him before looking away, but at Audry, or her back anyway, since she turned to go see Peyton. Julie sat back down in her seat, which was a two person seat, so I took the other side of her. Ally was too busy pacing back and forth to care. Tim hadn’t moved from his spot at all the whole time that we’ve been here. I think the only time he did was to stand up, or to go and use the restroom. Not that I was keeping tabs on him or anything, just stating the facts.

“You guys want to come back now? She’s asking for you.” Audry peeked around the door that she had disappeared behind, about ten minutes ago.

We nodded and walked in, following her to Peyton’s room. We had to walk to the end of one hallway, turn to the right, and it was the fifth door on the right. We walked in past the curtains. Ally first, then Julie, Audry, and then I barely poked my head around the curtain that was blocking the door. I didn’t want to stir up too much, and if she freaked out seeing me, then I could just walk away quickly.

Her eyes met mine, and for a second I thought I saw some sort of glint in them. It was gone before I could register what it was, but it had to be some sort of good sign. “What is he doing here?” It was almost like she just tried to make it sound harsh, but her voice was so raspy that it didn’t work too well.

Audry walked over and stood by the bed, smoothing Peyton’s hair back as she talked. “Baby, you were asking for him before you went into surgery.”

Peyton gave her mom the most confused look on this planet. “Why would I do that? I’m not talking to him at the moment.”

“Now, baby…” Audry started, but I interrupted her.

“No, it’s fine. I can leave.” I smirked at Audry and then looked at Peyton. “Bye. I’m glad to see you’re doing okay.”

Just as I turned to walk down the hallway, I heard a sigh and then, “Wait…David. You don’t have to go. Come back here.” Peyton said with her scratchy voice. I turned around and walked all the way into her room this time.

“You sure it’s okay?” I asked just to make sure. “I really will leave if you honestly don’t want me here. I really don’t mind.” I didn’t want her to make me go, I would do whatever she told me to at this point.

She stared at me for a minute. “No, it’s okay. I promise. It’s nice of you to come all the way here to make sure I’m doing okay.” She smiled softly at me. I noticed the grimace on Ally’s face and wanted to stick my tongue out at her or something, but I just settled for smiling on the inside.

“Of course I would.” I moved a little closer to her bed but then stopped myself. I didn’t want to push my luck just yet. “So, how do you feel?” That was a stupid question

“Like I just got sawed open.” She stated and grinned at me.

I rolled my eyes, but returned the grin. “Maybe because you just did.”