Chapter 30:

Ch. 30

“Hey Peyton?” Hunter sat down his controller and looked up at me.

“Yeah kiddo?” I moved some of his hair off to the side. It had gotten longer since the last time I saw him.

He sighed, “Why don’t you talk to your daddy?”

That threw me off. I sat my controller off to the side, forgetting the game for now. “Hunter…” David said in a warning tone.

I put a hand on David’s arm and patted it. “It’s okay.” I looked over at Hunter. “What are you talking about, sweety?” How did he know I wasn’t talking to my dad?

He looked at me with a sad look. “I heard you talking to David and my momma earlier. Don’t you want your daddy?”

He had me there. I didn’t exactly know where to go with that one. “Of course I do, but it’s just not that easy.”

“Well, why not? If you just talk to your daddy, maybe you can have him in your life again. He couldn’t have done anything that bad for you to keep him out of your life. I can’t see not having my daddy around.” He said.

Who would have thought? Leave it to a little kid to soften your heart up a little and he completely had a point, well, to an extent. It wouldn’t hurt for me to just talk to my dad.  David started to say something to Hunter again, but I stopped him. “You know, you’re absolutely right. I mean, there isn’t any harm in talking to him, I guess.”

“See!” He grinned.

“Yes. I sure do.” I said and tickled his sides.

Hunter fell into a fit of giggles and flopped backwards onto the couch and started kicking his feet around. “Wait! Wait!” he begged. “I still have a question!” I stopped tickling him and he sat up, taking his place back on the couch. “What do you do if a girl likes you and you don’t like her back?”

“Wow.” I looked at David who looked a little shocked, but just shrugged. So much help. “Umm…that’s a good question.” I said. “Why don’t you like her?”

“Well…I don’t know. She just isn’t into sports and stuff like I am, and doesn’t like to run around and play with all of us at recess.” I couldn’t believe he was already having girls chase after him. He was only ten; I could only imagine how it’ll be when he grows up, in this case.

“Well…” I wasn’t exactly sure how to answer him. “Just tell her that you don’t like her like that. But be nice about it. Don’t hurt her feelings.” I really hoped that worked for him.

He shrugged, “I guess I can try that. She’s also kind of annoying.”

“Hunter!” David scolded. “That’s not a very nice thing to say.”

“What!?” Hunter looked a little shocked at David’s outburst. “You say people are annoying all the time!”

“That’s different. I’m older.” Gotta love that excuse.

Hunter crossed his arms. “So. She acts like she knows it all, but she really doesn’t. I don’t like it when people act like that. Well, besides when you, mommy, or daddy tell me things.”

“How do you know she doesn’t know everything that she tells you?” I asked him.

He gave me a look that said ‘really?’ before he cracked a grin. “In class the other day we were talking about survival and we were talking about if we ever got lost how we could find our way out of a place and she suggested following a cloud.” The look he gave after telling us that was priceless.