Chapter 28:

Ch. 28

“Bye baby.” Mom said. “You sure you’ll be okay here by yourself?” She asked for the hundredth time.

I rolled my eyes and leaned into David’s side. “Yes, mom, we’re just going to hang out.” She was freaking out that we were staying at the house for a little while alone before going over to his place.

She eyed David for a minute and I couldn’t tell what was behind that look, but it was sort of scary. Mom looked back at me when she decided whatever she was deciding. “Just don’t do anything stupid.”

I smacked myself in the forehead. “Duh, mom. Now go before Tim gets mad at you!” I basically shoved her out the door. I knew she felt bad that I couldn’t go with her, but that’s just life sometimes. Once she was out the door, I shut it, turned around, and walked over to David, wrapping my arms around his torso. “Guess it’s just you and me now.” My attempts at flirting were simply pitiful to put it mildly. Actually, scratch that. I just suck at flirting and don’t know even the basics of it! It’s sad, really. I mean, what girl doesn’t know how to flirt? Obviously this one right here.

He wrapped his arms around my shoulders, hugging me to him. “We sure are. What ever should we do?” I looked up to see him grinning from ear to ear. I smacked him on the chest. “What was that for?”

“For where your thoughts were going.” I teased. I mean, really? Hadn’t I just tried to convince him to do something like that just last night?

David had mock hurt on his face. “So untrusting. I wasn’t thinking anything.”

“Mhmm.” I narrowed my eyes at him. “Don’t lie. You’re a guy. That’s where your thoughts will instantly take you.”

“Whatever.” He said. “Hmm…” He was actually putting some effort into figuring out something to do. “We could watch a movie or something.”

I shrugged. “Sure. How about Parental Guidance.” I just picked a movie at random. I didn’t really care what we watched.

“Um. Alright. Sure.” He walked over to the TV and turned it on while I grabbed out the DVD and handed it to him. “This better be good or I won’t let you pick out a movie again for a while.”

I walked over to the couch and sat on it, pulling my legs to the side and getting comfortable. “Yeah, yeah. You won’t ban me from choosing movies if you love me enough.” Wait; did I really just say that?

I saw him stop what he was doing, but continued on easily; acting like it didn’t affect him. “I don’t know about that.” He sat down next to me and put his arm on the back of the couch. He had the remote in his other hand, navigating through the DVD to get to the menu. “Love has nothing to do with it. I can love you, even with a horrible taste in movies.” Wait, what? I looked up at him. Where exactly was this going? We hadn’t even told each other the “L” word yet, and here we both spouted it out without even thinking. He glanced down at me, realizing what he said. “Uhh…” He didn’t have anything to say about it.

I blushed. “Right.” I cleared my throat. “We’ll see about that.” I turned off the lamp that was on next to the couch and made myself even more comfortable.

Halfway through the movie, the grandparents, who are babysitting the kids, bought a birthday cake. I snatched the remote from David and paused it. “I want some cake.” I stated out of nowhere. Just seeing it on the screen made me want some.

David looked at me with a shocked expression. “What?”

“Yeah. I want some cake. They really made me want some.” I pointed to the screen, where the cake was sitting there looking very tempting on the screen. “You know you want some too.”