Chapter 33:

Ch. 33

“So, you’ve been awfully distant lately.” Jules said. She finally put the book down and looked at me.

I put my hands under my head, since I was lying on the floor. I shrugged, “I haven’t really been meaning to be distant. I’m just…”

“With David all the time…” Jules finished for me.

“Okay, I give.” Ally had managed to be quiet for a little over an hour before she started talking again. To say that I was surprised would be an understatement. I didn’t think she would ever last that long. “I want to join in this conversation too! Anyway, I hope you aren’t choosing a guy over your best friends.”

She actually kind of looked hurt, not that she would ever say so. I looked at her and rolled my eyes. “Of course not. You’re still my girls, it’s just…he knows certain things that I can’t talk about with other people.” I had to confess I guess. I just wouldn’t tell them what it was that he knew.

“Babe!” Ally gasped. “You know you can tell us anything and everything, right? And we would never tell a soul and it would be taken to the grave if you swore us to secrecy?”

“I know that!” I said. “I just didn’t want to tell you guys, and he found out by default.”

“Well, what is it?” Jules asked. “She’s right. We won’t tell a soul if you tell us.”

I groaned. Why did this have to come up? “I know that, and I trust you two with my life. I just can’t tell you what it is. Not right now, okay? Let me tell you when I’m ready.”

“That’s hurtful, you know.” Ally crossed her arms over her chest. “That you don’t trust us with information, but you’ll tell some guy you used to hate and now are dating again. We’ve all known each other since we were kids. Since when did we start keeping secrets from one another?”

I threw my hands over my face and groaned again. “Ally…” I stated. “It’s not like that. If I could tell you I would, but I can’t make myself say the words out loud.”

“What if we were to guess it? I mean, it can’t be that bad, right?” Julie asked.

I looked at her and shook my head. “I can’t…”

“What if we just call David and find out?” Ally got up and came over to me like she was going to take my phone.

“He won’t tell you.” I warned her. “I swore him to secrecy also.”

“Who is it about?” Jules asked. I didn’t say a word; I just simply shook my head no. She thought about it. “Is it Tim?” How did she jump to that already?

“What about Tim?” Mom walked in right at that moment.

At first, I didn’t know if this was a good thing or a bad thing. Then I saw Tim right behind her staring straight at me and knew instantly that it was a bad thing. I jumped up and plastered a smile on my face. “Mom! You guys are home! How was it? Did you guys have fun?”

“Yes!” Mike interrupted. “Look!” He pulled out his Ipod and showed us pictures of these nasty looking bugs that covered the whole entire parking lot. It was disgusting if you ask me. I mean, they took Tim’s big white pick-up truck and it looked brown or black from all the bugs covering it. A part of me was extremely glad that I couldn’t go.  I hated bugs, and especially an overabundance of them. Ew.

I looked at my mom who just nodded. “Yeah, it was really gross. They said that they were bad for that time of year, but they would be gone within the next couple of days. They don’t last long.”