Chapter 26:

Ch. 26

~Roughly a month later~

CRACK! I slammed the bat into the ball and took off to first base, and rounded going to second. I watched our third base coach to see what I was supposed to do next. He waved me on and I took off and rounded to home base, taking off as fast as I could and slid, just as the catcher caught the ball.

I stayed on the ground looking up at the umpire, waiting to see what his call was. “Safe!”  He yelled.

I jumped up and my whole team ran, circling around me. “We won! We won!” We were all jumping around in a circle of excitement. We had just one state championship for our schools softball team. I had just scored the winning run.

I gasped awake and saw David beside me. Instantly, I sighed and groaned. Of course it just had to be a dream. It wasn’t the first time I had that dream, either. It seemed to be a reoccurring one just to torture me to death. I had been getting better. I still wasn’t fully recovered, I mean, I still got winded if I walked too much, considering I still have a lot of water on me. That was another thing. I couldn’t fit into anything except my huge sweatpants and t-shirts. It was the most annoying thing on earth. I looked like a freaking humongous cow!

“Had that dream again?” I nodded. David had been coming every morning before school to make sure I was okay. We had gotten much closer the last couple weeks since I’ve been out of the hospital. I mean, with only being able to sit inside, there’s only so much you can do and you end up talking, and things just sort of fell back into place. “It’ll be okay. Just go back to sleep. I have to go to school but I’ll be back right after.”

I rolled over and tried to go back to sleep. Not that I exactly wanted to, but it was better than facing yet another day of doing nothing. Just as I managed to fall asleep, I felt the bed move as someone sat down on the edge. Whoever it was leaned over and moved my hair off of my forehead. I figured it was probably my mom before she went into work. She was worried about me because she knew I got easily bored.

I blinked my eyes several times and looked up. “TIM!” I gasped. “WHAT THE HELL? WHY ARE YOU IN HERE!?” He has never come in here before unless it was to yell at me or something. Or, he hasn’t that I’ve ever known of. I was freaking out a bit, to say the least.

“I just wanted to see how you were doing.” He grinned at me.

I flinched away from his touch and tried to get out of my bed, but I was still really slow. “How often does this happen?” Honestly I was afraid of him right now. I didn’t know what to think about this.

He shrugged. I didn’t like that shrug. It didn’t seem safe to me. There weren’t hardly any other times I had woken up and he was in here, so for him to be acting nice to me, something was up. “DAVID!” I yelled, hoping he was still here. Please, Lord, let luck by on my side for once. Tim was advancing on me as I backed myself against the wall.

David ran into the room. “What’s…”He must’ve stopped and looked at the situation because one minute I saw him by my bathroom door, that I didn’t even know he went into. The next minute he was pulling Tim away from me and dragging him to the door. “I don’t know why you’re in here, but you better get out now.” David growled at him.

Tim, of all things, laughed in David’s face. “Excuse me? I think this should be the other way around. You should not be in my daughter’s room.”

“Audry knows I’m here. It’s been a reoccurring thing and you would know this if you actually gave a crap about your family.” David said. “Now get out before I do something that I might regret.”