Chapter 11:

Ch. 11

“Whoa whoa whoa, hold up.” Ally said when David and I walked into the cafeteria hand in hand Monday afternoon. “What…what’s going on?” I didn’t tell them in homeroom that David and I were dating now, and we didn’t walk in holding hands so now was the first time Ally and Jules were figuring it out.

I smiled up at David and then back at Ally. “What does it look like?”

“Well, it looks to me like something more is going on here than you led us to believe.” She eyed us suspiciously.

I squeezed David’s hand. “Well, I didn’t lead you to believe it because it just happened.”

“AND YOU DIDN’T CALL ME INSTANTLY TO TELL ME!” She shrieked, causing people to look over at us. “Babe, I’m disappointed in you.”

“Sorry. I was a little…busy.” Of course saying that led her to think other things.

Her eyes almost popped out of her head. “Already?!”

I rolled my eyes. “No Ally.” I shoved her shoulder gently. “You should know me better than that! We were just hanging out and I went over to his house after he asked me to be his girlfriend and we were hanging out and played some games with Hunter, his little brother. I’m sorry.”

I also left out the fact that just before he asked me, I passed out on the trail. She didn’t need to know that, considering we had softball tonight and I was afraid of getting dizzy again. No need to have to sit out softball. I’d get through it.

“I’ll let you guys talk.” David smiled at me and gently squeezed my hand. “See you after school.” He kissed me on the cheek and then went and sat with his friends. I smiled, watching him go to the table before Ally snapped me back to our conversation.

“I’ll let it slide this time.” She smiled and we grabbed our food. “So, is he a good kisser?”

I slapped her on the arm and Jules scolded her. “Ally! Who’s to say she’s kissed him yet.”

Ally rolled her eyes. “Come on, I know my best friend.” She looked at me. “So, is he?”

“Yeah.” I gave in. “Not that I have anything to compare it to.”

“Don’t tell me you’ve never kissed a boy before.” She stared at me.

I shook my head. “Nope. Never.”

“All the years I’ve known you. Never? But what about…oh what was his name…Devin?” She asked. Devin had been a short thing back in 8th grade. I wouldn’t exactly call it a boyfriend, but she always did.

“Nope.” I said. “Besides, that was 8th grade!”

“You’re point?” She asked. “I had already made out with a boy or two by 8th grade!”

“Well, not all of us are as bold as you, Ally.” Jules said and laughed shyly.

She shrugged and smiled, “Well thank you. So… you and David…” She sighed, “I’m not going to say I love it, but I won’t put down the relationship either. Like I’ve said before, I trust you.”

“Hey, I think it’s great. Maybe she’s exactly what he needs to change his ways.” Julie said and smiled at me. “I mean, think back. Ever since they’ve been paired for this English project he hasn’t acted like the jerk he used to be. He hasn’t looked at other girls and made them feel uncomfortable like he used to. Ally, you have to admit, he’s changed some. He might still be loud and obnoxious, but we all are at times, too.

“Also, even just today, did you see the look in his eye? I’ve never seen that spark there. I’m going to say that this relationship will work out. I’m willing to give David the benefit of the doubt and be nice to him. He deserves it, I think.”